Chapter One Hundred and Seventy-Seven: West Point

West Point was steeped in legend and after an eighty kilometre drive Jay and Adam eyed the impressive military stalwart nestled behind stone walls in New York State. They could sense the history living in the fort. Perched on a strategically chosen high ground enveloping just over sixteen thousand acres the Military Academy overlooked the Hudson River. Numerous buildings inhabited the area ranging from Barracks to Chapels and everything in between. West Point clearly operated as a bustling neighbourhood drawing in Cadets and tourists alike. The many historic buildings enticed history buffs to avail of the Museum and Visitors Center. Although 1,300 new Cadets were taken in each year only 1,000 made it to graduation.

Adam could not hide his awe at their impressive surroundings and Jay had to momentarily hide a grin. It was like watching a little boy. The reason for their visit banished his mirth and he gestured for his friend to follow him. They had been given instructions that Burke would meet them at 09:00 outside the Old Cadet Chapel. The Old Cadet Chapel had been built in 1836 but was moved brick by brick to its' current setting in the cemetery when work began on the gothic Cadet Chapel in 1910.

The choice of location had surprised the men but they had not queried it. It soon became clear why the location had been chosen. Compared to the rest of the sprawling buildings and thoroughfares there was little foot traffic. As they approached Jay wondered what kind of man made dealing with exposives a livelihood. He was about to find out.

For his part Frank Burke Jr. eyed the two men approaching with curiosity. He immediately identified Halstead as his darkened eyes betrayed the strain he was living under. Although Voight had not told him everything about the young Detective he had imparted enough information that the Instructor felt a desire to help all he could. Burke also knew that although he had not openly stated it Voight respected the younger man and anyone who had earned that respect had to be good.

After the preliminary introductions were out of the way Burke got down to business as they strolled amongst the tombstones.

"Hank gave me the crime scene photos and Forensic Reports," the Bomb Disposal Expert explained with a heavy sigh, "this guy knows his stuff. I would say he's had some sort of training."
"Because he knows how to use a bomb with only a few victims?" Adam checked.
"It's more than that. Setting off explosives isn't as simple as small exposive for small target. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. This guy is definitely at ease with IEDs."
"You came across anyone like him before?" Jay asked as he surveyed the tranquil surroundings.
"Not with his MO," Burke stopped walking and his companions eyed him speculatively, "but his level of expertise suggests a military background."
"In a Bomb Disposal Unit?" Adam queried doubtfully.
"Maybe," Burke shrugged, "it's just a hunch."
"Are there a lot of dropouts in training?" Jay wondered.
"Dropouts and everything in between."
"What does that mean?"
"Well some get a notion about how exciting the work can be but three, four weeks in they learn the harsh realities and being blown to pieces isn't such an appealing option."
"So they drop out," Adam stated, "then others are told they don't make the grade?"
"Exactly," Burke concurred gravely, "it can't be easy being told you're not good enough for something you've set your heart on."
"Which is why our guy is probably in the latter group," Jay opined.
"Makes sense. Having said that though I can't give you anything concrete to back this up."
"Your experience is a good calculator," Jay pointed out, "but are their other categories we should be looking at? You did say 'everything in between'."
"Unfortunately yes," Burke spoke quietly, "some are kicked out of training even though they have the necessary abilities .....,"
"So why are they let go?" Adam prompted as the silence lingered.
"Not suitable due to psychological reasons."
"There can't be that many sane guys that want to do bomb disposal," Adam uttered before receiving a glare from Jay.
"Forgive Ruzek, he didn't get enough sleep last night so his brain cells haven't woken up yet."
"No offence taken," Burke smiled at the chagrined Detective to show no offence was taken, "I know it's hard for people to understand why we do this type of work."
"So why do you?" Adam asked, this time earning a non too gentle shin kick for his lack of tact.
"You don't need to answer that."
"Actually I don't mind," Burke grinned, "heck truth is if my old man hadn't been doing it I probably wouldn't have been interested. Thing is though I saw all the good he did over the years. Sure there was danger but he made a difference. He saved lives. I wanted to do that too."
"Could think of easier ways to save lives," Adam noted.
"Maybe but there wouldn't be the thrill of making it out alive. It's quite a buzz "
"I'll take your word for it."

"So you reckon this guy Wells has been rejected and is out for revenge?" Burke looked at the Detectives.
"That doesn't really fit with his MO. None of the victims have any links to the military," Jay explained as they started walking again, "more likely he's just using what he learnt."
"There is one thing that's surprising."
"What?"
"Well I've dealt with a few investigations here stateside where people used IEDs and usually the victim count and material damage got higher the longer the person escaped capture."
"Wells isn't going bigger," Jay agreed thoughtfully.
"Makes you think doesn't it? Maybe he doesn't have easy access to supplies."
"Hell he can go to any hardware store and get what he needs," Adam argued.
"Maybe he can't go there," Burke offered.
"Maybe," Jay said around a yawn.
"I think it's you didn't get enough sleep," Burke chided the young Detective, "come on. I'll treat ye to a full Irish breakfast. That will wake you up!"

Twenty minutes later the trio sat in MacArthurs Riverview Restaurant in the historic 151 room Thayer Hotel on the campus. Only in America would a military campus incorporate a hotel Adam thought to himself as he eyed the extensive menu. The gothic windows and the white pillars with gold decoration combined with the brown carpet with gold pattern to give an oppulant feel to the large restaurant. The dark tables and chairs aided the
overall ambience of the setting. Jay looked across at the Bomb Disposal man and shook his head.

"This place is way out of our budget. You come here often?"
"Only about once a month," Burke grinned, "if I don't I get in trouble."
"Why?" Adam raised his eyes from the menu.
"If I don't check in with my Mom she gets a bit miffed!"
"She works here?"
"How else would I get an Irish breakfast?!"
"Man I'm hungry just looking at all the options," Adam went back to perusing the food on offer.
"Well the Irish Breakfast is the best choice naturally .....,"
"Naturally," Jay agreed with mock sincerity.
"As I was saying the Irish Breakfast is the best," Burke continued ruefully, "but feel free to order anything. It's on me."
"Thanks but we can pay," Jay insisted.
"I invited ye. Besides I get a discount knowing the Chef and all."

Twenty minutes later the three were halfway through their chosen meals when Jays' cell rang. Excusing himself he pushed away the Irish Breakfast and stood up to take the call outside, "back in a minute."
"He looks like hell," Burke noted once the younger man was out of earshot.
"Can't argue with you there," Adam spoke around a mouthful of salmon.
"Hank told me this Wells guy is going after Halstead but Halstead doesn't know him."
"Yeah."
"I wasn't sure if I should bring it up but ....,"
"What?" Adam put down his cutlery and looked at the other man.
"Well ..... it's just that IEDs are so destructive so it fits with this guy not knowing him .....,"
"Exactly," Adam frowned, "so what's your point?"
"The victims taken down by shooting would have been more personal acts."
"I don't follow?"
"Just that to shoot someone you have to watch the act happen, through a scope alright but still it makes it more personal. With a bomb you can't really stick around and watch the explosion."
"But Wells .....,"
"Maybe he's working with someone else," Burke looked out the ornate window at the Detective on the phone, "soneone Jay does know."
"Hell!" Adam got to his feet with Burke on his heels.

tbc