Chapter One Hundred and Eighty Seven: A Watery Fate

Adam glanced at Voight before returning his gaze to the bubbling surface of the river where the ambulance carrying his friend had disappeared. Mouse placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Jay knows what he's doing."
"I swear I'll kill him!"
"Join the club," Voight deadpanned as he searched for a sign of the young man.
"Does he always do stuff like this?" Burke asked distractedly from where he stood with Pannini and Jackson.
"He says he just does what has to be done," Antonio explained with mock chagrin.
"He could have just abandoned the ambo," Jackson noted.
"Probably didn't want to risk us getting hurt," Kevin put in.
"So ...," whatever Pannini was about to say was lost in a loud explosion as water reigned down on them from the force of the blast.
"Dammit!" Adam took off running for the water with the others on his heels.

When the lights had finally surrendered to the watery onslaught Jay had reacted quickly, not allowing himself to panic although the urge to do so was tempting. His military training stood him in good stead though so he forced the drivers' door open, relieved he had timed his escape correctly. The blackness around him was disorienting as he abandoned what could have been his watery tomb. For a few seconds he was pulled back towards the vehicle as it sank further but he used all his strength to fight the undertow and soon was able to head for the surface. He was just about to break the surface when everything seemed to turn upside down and he felt himself shoved up against a wooden post as if by an invisible hand. His ears were ringing as he forced his eyes open. Although he knew he was at the surface for a few moments the sky was invisible as metal fragments and water cascaded down. A sharp pain in his right side vied for attention as he clung to the weathered post. Other aches and pains soon made their presence known. He groaned. How was he going to avoid a trip to the hospital?

Adam and Antonio were the first to spot the injured Detective and they made short work of pulling him up, albeit slowly due to the obvious pain he was in.

tbc

Authors' Note

Apologies this Chapter is so short. Made a mistake and started next Chapter as I thought I had completed this one!! In the circumstances I will publish Chapter 188 now also.