Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Eight: Suspicions

Dunes Inn - Wilshire Boulevard

As soon as the two Detectives arrived back at the motel Jay had stated he needed to lie down for a while. Three hours later he emerged from his room and knocked on Adams' door.

"So you feeling better?"
"Yeah," Jay automatically replied positively although he still felt rough as he sat down on a chair by the window.
"You ready to talk?" Adam checked as he retrieved two soda cans he had bought earlier from the vending machine and tossed one to the pale man.
"Talk?"
"You haven't said anything about Franklin trying to find out about your old man," Adam elaborated knowingly as he took a chair opposite his friend, "how come?"
"What's there to say?" Jay countered as he pulled the tab on the can and took a sip.
"Michael Williamson doesn't know anything about the old man so he couldn't have told Carter or Thomas anything."
"We don't know for sure if Williamson knows something. Franklin must have some information. Why else would he bring it up?"
"I thought he was just trying to goad you into a reaction," Adam admitted as he snagged a bag of potatoe chips from a pile on the table between them and opened it," "besides what he said about your old man would give him a reason for the way you dealt with things."
"So he was just assuming the old man was tough," Jay reflected thoughtfully.
"Makes sense," Adam shrugged as he nodded to the treat laden table, "help yourself. Sarge said he'll be back in about three hours so we'll go to dinner then but in the meantime eat something."
"You must have been ages raiding the machine," the injured man eyed the various options of chips and chocolate bars available and eventually opted for a plain chocolate bar.
"Hey I'm a growing boy!"

------------------------------------------------------------

Downtown Hank and Moretti were going over the progress in the Petrocelli cases. The fact that the mob boss had escaped still gnawed at both experienced law enforcement Officers but they knew that the multiple arrests they had been able to make on foot of information held within the files the man left with Halstead would not have been possible without the criminal. It was a hard pill to swallow. They knew the act of leaving the files was not one of kind heartedness. The files contained damning evidence not only on drug dealers who worked in Petrocellis' organization but also on some of his enemies. The fact they were taking some of the mans' enemies out of action would have been harder to accept if the mob boss was still operating though. That however was a small consolation in light of the fact that their main target had to all intents and purposes vanished. Hank looked across the cluttered desk at his old friend.

"There's no sign of him re-surfacing?"
"No. We haven't heard anything since the night he disappeared. He was obviously planning it for some time," Moretti stated unhappily.
"Even before Halsteads' cover was broken," Hank mused.
"Why do you figure he left Halstead live?"
"His son. We've discussed this. You think there's something else?"
"Could there be another reason?" Moretti queried.
"I'm all ears if you got something."
"You have to admit it's never happened before. A mob boss leaving an Undercover Cop alive and giving him the evidence to bring down his organization."
"If there's something you're getting at," Hank looked over at the other man a stern note colouring his tone, "come out with it."
"You have to admit it's unusual," Moretti spoke quietly, "looking at this when I'm not close to Halstead I would say it throws suspicion on him."
"Pete I've known you a long time and I know you're feeling betrayed by Franklin but that doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions on Halstead. He went undercover even though he was unwell and ...,"
"Another thing which raises questions. Why did he?"
"Because the Kid has a sense of duty which wouldn't let him sit out the operation. When Johnny Jackson came into the equation he was never going to walk away. He wanted to help his friend but that's not the only reason. Halstead knows the damage Bright Glow has been doing and we've been after Petrocelli a long time."
"Even so you have to admit it's still suspicious," Moretti persisted.
"He went under knowing his life would be in danger if he was found out, despite the fact he was unwell, and I'm not going to let you accuse him of anything," Hank stood up purposefully heading for the door, "we've been friends a long time Pete but you pursue this and it's finished. I trust Halstead one hundred percent. You want to call in IAB do. I guarantee they won't find anything. All it will do is create more hassle for the Kid. Hassle he doesn't need but that's up to you."
"Hank I'm just trying to cover all angles."
"That may be," the Sergeant pulled open the door, "but do me favour make a decision by the morning one way or the other."
"Okay I'll think it over."
"You do that," Hank strode out trying to keep his rage in check knowing it would not help anything if he let rip.

Ingos Tasty Diner - Wilshire Boulevard

By the time Hank returned to the motel he had managed to calm down. He had decided to warn his youngest Detective about the possibility of an IAB investigation because he felt it was only fair to give him a heads up. Morettis' suspicions had blindsided him so he couldn't read his old friend. The three visiting men had headed out to a diner Adam had come across online the previous evening. After the Waiter had cleared away the main course dishes from their black leather booth opposite the counter and a round of beers had been delivered to the table Jay looked over at his Sergeant warily. He had sensed the other man had information to impart but decided to have some food before investigating afraid he would lose his appetite after whatever he needed to be told was out in the open.

"So what's up Sarge?"
"Moretti is asking questions about Petrocelli leaving you alive and giving you the files," Hank as usual didn't sugarcoat the problem.
"What?!" Adam slammed his bottle down on the table drawing looks from their nearby fellow diners sitting nopposite at the counter.
"Keep it down," Jay admonished calmly, "can't blame the guy. It does look suspicious."
"I told him I'm backing you all the way Kid," Hank offer quietly as he took a sip of beer, "I gave him until the morning to make up his mind. I don't want this hanging over you."
"Hell!" Adam cursed softly shaking his head, could anything else go wrong for his friend?
"Guess there's no point in worrying over it until it happens," Jay put in nonchalantly as he peeled the label off his bottle distractedly.
"Why are you so calm?" Adam frowned sharing a look with the concerned Sergeant.
"I'm not but there's no point in me losing my temper," Jay admitted tiredly, "and like I said Moretti has a point. It does look suspicious."
"Well if he does bring IAB in I won't have much control ...," Hank began only to be cut off.
"It's okay Sarge," Jay eyed the older man gratefully, "I can only tell them the truth. Besides Moretti might not follow up."
"Hope he doesn't," Adam stated morosely as he signalled for another round, it was going to be a long night.

tbc

IAB - Internal Affairs Bureau