Tryouts

The buzzing arena was now stark silent as they watched Sakura get to her position outside the line. She scanned the other side of court ignoring all the eyes on her and took a few step backwards. By a few I mean ten.

"Doesn't look good" Oikawa said unable to blink and Yumiko just clutched onto the hem of her skirt praying for a disaster to NOT happen.

The whistle blew and her face just changed. Tobio, Yumiko and Oikawa could swear they saw the devil in her. She had a look no one had seen before. She was determined. She knew what she was doing. She was confident.

Without wasting a moment she threw the ball high up and ran towards the court as people stopped breathing. She wouldn't take her eyes off the ball.

"Don't tell me!" Oikawa suddenly exclaimed and the two were even more confused with what was happening. She gracefully ran towards the line and jumped high in the air, extending her hand and hitting the ball with such accuracy, it flew to the edge of the other side of the court, untouched, landing a service ace.

Yumiko almost fainted, Mei almost collapsed on her knees, Oikawa forgot how to breathe and Tobio... Tobio didn't know how to even react. The arena was still silent as people's jaws were hanging by their feet.

Her determined eyes were still on the other side of the court "Point" she said.

The crowd broke into such a loud roar that the vice principal had to come running along with the dean.

"S-Sakura..." Tobio said, "N-Nice."

"Oye, Tobio..." Oikawa's eyes were still wide in shock. He had no expressions on his face "you said she couldn't play" he flatly said.

"We... didn't even know" Yumiko said, her eyes still fixed on Sakura.

"And here she perfectly spiked from outside the court." Oikawa had never been confused by a person like this before. Strike that! Nobody had been so confused by a person before.

Mei wanted to see that again. "Sakura..." she said. "Could you... serve again, please?"

She nodded taking the ball in her hand and walked back to her position way outside her side of the court preparing for the next serve.

This time, Mei took to defence and people fell silent once again. Oikawa looked like he was possessed. He stood up and sloppily walked towards the court like he was hallucinating. He was even sure that he was hallucinating.

"Go Sakura!" Yumiko cheered breaking Tobio out of his reverie. As shocked as he was, he had to digest the fact that this was a reality and Sakura played no fluke earlier.

"Nice Serve!" Tobio cheered. His voice and Yumiko's were the only ones that echoed through the gym.

The Dean and the Vice, who missed the first scene were anxiously watching her like she lost her mind.

She spun her ball again scanning the court and the whistle blew. She tossed the ball, this time a little lower and ran towards the line with lighter steps.

"Impossible!" Oikawa softly said to himself knowing what was happening, his eyes going as wide as it could go. Tobio was on the verge of getting a cardiac arrest.

She gracefully jumped and hit the ball to the other side of the net. The ball flowed in the wind and dropped just past the net when Mei anticipated it to drop somewhere around her.

The ball contacted the floor and that was the only sound that could be heard.

"A J-JUMP FLOAT... SERVE???" Tobio said in disbelief and the crowd roared again. Mei just looked at the ball and back at Sakura. She knew that wasn't just luck twice in a row.