Confrontation

Sakura and Ushijima continued to practice for the next two months. Ushijima got better at receiving her deadly serves and Sakura was learning new things from him. His intricate moves that made a huge impact in receiving and spiking impressed her a lot. One advantage he had was that he was left handed. She was stunned when she first saw him spike with his left. It was indestructible, it really was. She stood there, awestruck. He was basically her role model. He never indulged in anything unnecessary. He mostly kept things to himself and had a straight face that kept intimidating her. He only spoke if necessary and not otherwise. Sakura had developed a strong liking for Ushijima who made captain in just his second year.

One evening, the guys were practising while Sakura waited for a few girls from her team. Yumiko ran in from the door on the other side of the court because she was really late. Sakura, who was standing by the net, saw her run in and sighed.

"YUMIKO!" Sakura heard someone scream in horror. Ushijima's ball couldn't be received. It bounced off of Goshiki's hand and headed straight to her face.

Yumiko knew she was landing in the hospital. She screamed closing her eyes shut but the ball never hit her face. Yumiko slowly opened her eyes to see the ball fall off Sakura's hand as Sakura held her palm tight and groaned in pain. Sakura had swiftly run all the way to stop the ball from hitting Yumiko. The boys barely noticed her go.

"God!" she closed her eyes shut from the sting that ran through her fingers.

Everyone gathered around to see if she was fine.

Ushijima walked in and held her wrist. She wouldn't let her hand free so he yanked her wrist to check her fingers. His eyes widened to see her fingers blue and her eyes red.

"I'm sorry" he apologised and people gasped. They weren't one to be blamed, they had never seen Ushijima apologise so nicely. His own team was baffled.

He then pulled her all the way to the bench and iced her fingers.

"U-Ushiwaka" Tendou's jaw dropped, "Is he-"

Sakura's hand burned under his touch.

"It's my fault" he said, not taking his eyes off her blue fingers.

"Ushijima Senpai, it's alright I'll-"

Before she finished, she was cut off by the plaster that stung even more while being wrapped.

"Fuck!" She softly squealed and Ushijima shot his eyes upwards to meet hers and she bit her lip shut regretting what she said. Ushijima's eyes grew dark, but only for a second as he finished wrapping her fingers.

"That'll do" he said getting up.

"Thank you" Sakura politely thanked and he smiled before turning away. Sakura was flushing red. She had never seen him smile. No one really had. Her eyes widened 'so cute!' she thought, her heart beating faster. But she knew he was taken so she shook her thoughts away instantly.

He was taken by the very person who was glaring at the whole scene. Sara.

Ushijima finished practice and headed out of the campus.

"Ushiwaka!" He heard his girlfriend call.

"Hmm? Tell me, Sara" he said.