End of the World

Prefectural Qualifiers were a pain in the ass. Ushijima was nervous for the very first time in his life for his leg was f*cked. But Sakura kept him going. She'd go over to his place and stretch his leg to relieve some of the pain. She helped him exercise like the physiotherapist told him to.

Sakura was relentless. She knew she scared the shit out of the other teams. She was the Ace Sniper who made it to the U-19 after all, she was the talk of the crowd. Her unfriendly facade only made it worse for the others, she was there to win. The very moment she walked in everyone fell silent, Kiyomi knew just how well it would perk up their team. People mumbled amongst themselves all the rumours they'd heard about her, about how sketchy she was, how her spikes crashed against the floor and how awesome her brain game was.

Her mind was a chaotic sphere of ideas and constant thinking. She had to make it to the nationals and finish what they started last time. The other part of her mind however worried about Ushijima. A lot. He wasn't himself. He looked so angry people literally stepped out of his way in fear, he was way more intimidating than the usual. Furuya walked in his cast with a scowl on his face and people sighed in relief. Furuya was an excellent player, he blended well his team no matter where. People knew him as the "Genius Ace from Kaifukan". But misfortune was siding them this time and the two spectacular aces were badly injured.

Sakura's team floored all their opponents one by one. Sakura was disappointed with how bad the opponents were getting by the passing game, completely unaware of the fact that she was constantly evolving since she worked so hard for it.

On the third day, the day of finals, the girls qualified for the nationals. Sakura left everything and everyone behind as she hurried towards the boys' game.

Ushijima hadn't played in most games, he was resting his leg for the finals. Furuya was out of the game for sure, there were no chances of him playing, his hand was in a damn cast.

"Where's Toshi san?" She asked the boys who had already arrived.

"He's still in the locker room" Reon said and she hurried back out.

Ushijima's breath was shaky. His hands slowly reached the sturdy bandage to untie it but another pair of small, soft hands untucked his bandage and slowly removed it. His eyes moved from his bandage to her face.

"Sakura..." he said "Why are you here?"

"You shouldn't be doing this alone" she said unwrapping his bandage. She took out the pain relief balm and rubbed it over his injury, massaging it so he wouldn't feel as much pain while he played like the hero he was.

"Congratulations" he warmly said but she didn't answer. She was intently gazing at his limb, her hand pressing against his strained leg.

"Sakura, I'm fine" he growled, in pain and in anger.

"What's wrong?" She let go of him.

"It's... I'm just really disappointed in myself and you shouldn't be doing all this"

"You did a lot of things you shouldn't have either. Did I complain?" She asked.

"You did" he deadpanned and she narrowed her eyes.

"That's not the point!" She protested. "You're the super ace. The Ushijima Wakatoshi. I worship you, remember?" She said recalling something she said a long long time ago and his lips curled into a smile involuntarily.

"Give it your all, baby" she smiled "I'll take care of you later. Don't worry about your leg."

He was elated to have heard that from her instead of the "Don't injure yourself anymore". He loved how she understood about him and didn't ask him to put himself over volleyball. She knew he couldn't do that and respected it, he couldn't have asked for anything else.

"Arigato" he softly said as she stuck a relief patch on his injury.

"I'll cheer for you, baby..." she got up and gently kissed his lips. "...forever" she smiled as she pulled back.

"I better get this right. I don't want to lose while you're cheering" he said getting up from the bench. She knew he weighed all the possibilities. Karasuno wasn't the "fallen crows" anymore. They weren't in the finals because they were just randomly put in there. They fought their way through, by hook and by crook.

As much as it upset him that they might potentially lose, that he might have to go back on his word against Hinata Shoyo who threatened to defeat him and go to the nationals, he wasn't a fool. He didn't believe in hopes that weren't backed by suitable actions and so, it didn't get to him as much as it would've for a very optimistic person.

"I know you'll try your hardest." She said.

"I will, baby" he hooked his fingers under her chin and bent his head down laying his lips on hers for a short yet a passionate, lingering kiss. "You're perfect" he pecked her lips for the last time and she blushed.

They walked out of the locker room and towards the court, the roaring sound from the crowd getting louder as they walked closer to the doors.

"You know what to do..." she said opening the door for him.

"Sakura..." he stopped before he entered and looked at her. She had a nostalgic feeling breeze through her, from the first time she ever saw him when she was back in Kitagawa Daiichi and they were complete strangers. For some reason, he looked like he bore the same face from that day.

"Yes?" She timidly asked.

"Please stay where I can see you at all times" he said. It was a weird request but she nodded in agreement.

The crowd boomed at a higher intensity when he walked inside.

"There goes my Golden boy" she smiled to herself as she walked in a few moments later.

The detriment in his limb was very unforgiving, he could feel his muscle tearing apart. Playing 5 gruelling sets is no joke. Period.

Sakura watched them without blinking as exhaustion creeped in on both teams. She reminded him during every timeout to reapply his pain spray and rest his leg for his betterment. She could clearly see his frustration. The frustration that arose out of the clash between his willpower to win and the physical power that wasn't willing to surge through his leg.

He seemed rather collected when they lost. At least they put up a damn good fight. Furuya simply walked out without a word, his eyes were in tears. He had screwed up for his very first match. He was devastated.

"Tobio kun, congratulations" Sakura smiled as she shook his hand.

"Arigato" he said.

"We finally beat Ushiwaka" Hinata proudly said.

"You really did" she smiled "But I'm sure he'd put up a better fight if weren't for his injury. Even Furuya would've given you guys a serious headache if his hand wasn't in a cast"

"W-What? They're injured?" Daiichi blurted.

"Daiichi san, nice game" she smiled greeting him "You guys were amazing!"

"Sakura chan! We saw your finals! Asahi san was literally crushing on you the whole time, he was even fighting with the captain over you" he said and she laughed as the two looked away in embarrassment "Your serve was so amazing! You ran so fast like whoosh and jumped so high and pow!" He was jumping all over the place and she just laughed in delight. Hinata Shoyo was refreshing. She needed that in order to pull herself together so she'd have enough strength to give to her boyfriend.

Ushijima was terrifyingly calm. So calm, he scared everyone. Even Sakura. He silently got home, he didn't reply to his mother either. He locked the door of his room and slid down to the floor with his back against his bed. He looked at the plaster on his leg and a stream of tears escaped his eyes. He tried his best to piece himself together but was falling apart. It was the end of the world. His world.

Ushijima would never be the same anymore.