problems...

I had woken up to an empty bed at around 2:00AM this morning, I was obviously curious as to where demi was so I went to look for her. I found her in the kitchen, hunched over the sink with painkillers and a glass of water next to her, she had her hand on her back and she was... crying. Demi wasn't one to cry so I knew that the pain in her back was a lot worse than what she letting be known. I was worried about her, I had been as honest as possible when I was injured and it felt like she couldn't trust me to do the same thing.

I went back to bed before she noticed me watching her and a few minutes later she joined me in bed. "You alright bub?" I asked asked her with a fake tired voice to make it seem like I had just woken up "Yeah I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" Is she serious? I chose to ignore it for now but I wasn't going to let it slide.

When we woke up again I could feel the tension between us and I believe she could feel it as well. I got straight out of bed, getting dressed and heading downstairs. There was still the mess that demi had left out on the counter by the sink so I cleaned it up and started making breakfast. Demi came downstairs after a while, she immediately tried to show affection with me but I didn't want it, she had been lying to me and I didn't like it.

"What's wrong..."  She said pulling away from me, I continued making the kids their breakfast while I spoke "Nothing. BEN! GET MAYA PLEASE!" She rolled her eyes and scoffed at my tone, before leaving she turned to me and said "if it's about my back then stop it. I'm fine." I laughed at that remark and it kept her in the kitchen for a moment longer "What's that all about?" She asked, with a confused, offended tone "You're full of shit! That's what it's all about." Was all I said to her, I finished making breakfast for everyone and left mine on the counter, I had lost my appetite completely. Demi wasn't giving up with wanting to find out why I was so pissed with her, it was just making things worse. "Why am I full of shit?" "Because you are! You say you're fine! You say you're not in pain! But then you sit down here at 2AM crying your eyes out alone! In sickness and in health remember!" I was fed up but my accusations were falling quiet as Ben walked through the door with Maya by his side. "Go get yourself and your sister in the car ben" demi said, her voice stern, she was pissed off. The second Ben left she turned to me "I know that it's in sickness and in health! I was so caught up in your health that I shoved mine to the side until it was too agonising!" I looked at her in shock "so this is MY fault! Fine whatever." I stood up and headed upstairs, demi following behind me "Y/N That's not what I meant!" I slammed the bathroom door on her, locking it behind me. I was fucking done, I felt horrible that I was the cause of her pain but if she had spoken to me this wouldn't have happened.

*time skip *

I had avoided demi all day, we had spoken but it just pushed us further apart. She had picked Maya up from day care and Ben was on his way home from school, he was walking home with as few of his friends so we allowed him to walk. Demi sat next to me after pitting Maya down for a sleep, "are we gonna talk about this?" She asked me, rubbing the back if her neck "well you haven't wanted to before." She sighed, completely fed up "I don't know what you want from me." "I want you to be honest! That's all I ask of you" I replied, we were both tired of it but we saw things differently "I just had to sort out your health first.." "There it is again! You're blaming me for you not being honest!" I was annoyed with this whole situation "Just stop! Please!" Ben shouted, drawing the attention of both me and demi to him. Before we could say anything, he ran upstairs to his room. I ran after him, leaving demi at the base of the stairs "Ben! Ben open your door!" I said trying to get his door open. Eventually he did unlock the door "I'm sorry for the arguments, I just really care about your mother and she hasn't been honest with me." "I know, it's just hard" I spoke with my son for a while "I'm gonna try and fix this. Okay?" He nodded as I left his room.

"Look I don't want to argue. But you need to be more honest. And you need to stop blaming others as a defence mechanism" I said sitting with my wife once again. "I don't do that." She responded, her tone was cold. "I don't know what you want from me at this point Dem. I tried to put this behind us and you don't wanna do that." I stood up and went upstairs to our bedroom. Ben was stood at his door expecting the release of the tension "I'm sorry son, I tried to apologise, she doesn't want anything to do with it." He sighed "I'll talk to her." My son looked defeated, he just wanted things to go back to the way they were. I sat down on the bed and grabbed a few items of clothing, taking them into the spare bedroom. I was tired of fighting but If she really didn't want to fix things then that was her problem. She could sort out the kids dinner, she could look after Maya, she could do everything and I couldn't stop myself from falling into a mental slip. I felt fucking useless.