Chapter 28

Lisa

She puckered them up showing her friend a silly kissy-pout and I smiled, bowing my head discreetly. Her friend, Rosé leaned forward and pressed a quick peck to Jennie's lips in a non-intimate way. The pair of them burst out laughing and my eyes widened in surprise. God, her friend doesn't know how lucky she is.

I wish I could kiss her lips, I bet they feel full and soft. I bet she tastes like cherries or strawberries or something equally as sweet. I so desperately wanted to know what she tasted like. She had pretty heart-shaped lips, that were never dry nor cracked. People say eyes hold the most expression but Jennie's lips are equally as expressive.

She curls her lips in distaste when she doesn't agree with someone's opinion. She presses them together when she's angry or annoyed. She smiles when she's happy and she chews her lower lips when she's puzzled. Fuck, I wanted to kiss her so bad.

"It's dormant." My lab partner interrupted my train of thoughts.

"Oh, it's definitely not dormant." I replied smoothly but then I pulled my eyes away from Jennie and put them on my partner. He looked like a frightened little mouse, his raven coloured hair spiked vertically on his head with a strong hair gel. He had a ring going through his left nostril and I got this feeling from him like if he bit me I would catch rabies. "What?" I asked, realising what I had just said.

"Uh... the cell. It's not m... moving. It's dormant." He stuttered out timidly.

"Okay." I shrugged not caring enough to check the accuracy of his statement. The bell rang out and I grabbed my bag, not able to get out of there fast enough.

Tonight I had another date set up, I really didn't want to go on it because I had managed so far without touching the white stuff and I knew hooking up with another woman for money would automatically make me turn back to drugs. It was my reprieve, a way to lock it all out and make my mind compartmentalise what I was doing for money.

On my way home from school, I called into CVS and picked up a packet of condoms and a repeat of my mom's prescriptions.

I had just enough time to get home, cook dinner for my mom, sit with her for a little bit, then shower and head to Del Vino's. It was a routine grossly practiced and perfected. Nobody besides Bambam and his uncle knew of my job. My mom and Bryan both thought that I bartended. If my mom ever found out the truth, she would never forgive me for putting myself through all of this just for her. She would rather die a slow, painful and suffocating death than have me sell my body to anyone who would buy it, just so I could provide her with all the medication and oxygen canisters that she needed.

I guess overall, it's not something that I plan on doing forever but it's something I like having the option to do forever. When my mom passes on and I no longer have the expense of her medical fees, when the judge rules her verdict on me and I no longer have the expense of my lawyer fees, when I get clean and no longer have the expense of my drug addiction fees I will stop and get a real job. Pay my bills in a legal and morally correct way. But unfortunately, that life doesn't seem a reality to me.

It's just a faraway dream. Like Jennie.