Chapter 129

Lisa – 1 year later

Twelve months ago, I walked out of the recital with grief heavy on my heart. The dance ended and so did my friendship with Jennie. I walked away, dropped out of school and never saw or spoke to her again.

She tried, fuck did she try.

I stayed in town for a month following the recital, I needed to, for the trial. Every night she came and knocked on the door of my trailer and every night I sat on the other side of it, listening to her voice.

But the harsh reality was that I had gone back to the only life I knew, escorting, drug taking, and showing up at Sam's parties to score free blow. I drank unethical amounts, probably damaged my liver and kidneys but I didn't give a shit.

My life was worthless.

I was worthless.

In November, the judge dropped the charges, thanks to the lack of evidence. Both Jennie and her dad submitted character references in my favour to the judge and I think they helped get my case dismissed, yet I didn't seek either of them out to express my gratitude.

I abandoned her, probably when she needed me the most. When she was just going through therapy and talking about her trauma. I selfishly pushed her away. What kind of person did that make me?

I expected to feel something when my Nancy problem came to a close but I didn't. I felt nothing, only numbness. It didn't matter to me anymore, nothing mattered.

The best outcome for me would've been the 'not guilty' verdict instead of dropped charges. Nancy got away with falsely accusing me and ruining my life, I still had people doubt my morals. It seemed like a lose-lose situation for me, so I skipped town, moving three hours east of the city.