From My Eyes [Abiya]

Book: From My Eyes
Author: nanyapixie6
Reviewer: Ablazeisaleo
Chapters Read: 8

Cover and Title (6/10):
Starting off, I love books that contain titles that directly pull us into the story and I must say that this is one such title. The title clearly asks and pours out an idea to the readers that this book is written from the point of view of the protagonist, Elaine herself. The only shortcoming I find is obviously the cover as it's too plain for a book of this genre as it might miss the eyes of the readers, so having a better cover would just polish the book as a whole.

Blurb (9/10):
I love the blurb as it's so professional and very well written. It introduces us clearly to our protagonist, Elaine, and the hardships she faces as a maid within the confines of a palace. It also has a strong intriguing factor that leads us to the readers where they ponder upon how she aligns with a group of thieves and how the plot moves forward. Something that I felt amiss was a lack of a cliffhanger element in the blurb but apart from that it’s amazing!

Character Description (9/10):
I love how the characters are depicted especially Elaine as the point of view and hardships she faces as a maid, especially the immense workload she faces whenever a ball takes place in the palace is portrayed superbly. Gosh! I hate these balls even though it looks so dreamy lmao. I actually was quite immersed in Elaine’s character throughout the chapters I’ve read, feeling sorry when she explains about her mother Martha, the frustration others feel as she is an unwanted child, and others is so mystical and enchanting when it comes to writing historical fiction so good job out there.

Plot and Writing Style (7/10):
Something that is very important when it comes to writing historical fiction is the usage of visual imagery and detailed scenery description. I felt that mentions of the place, its setting, and surroundings were very minimal which is a big no when it comes to writing historical fiction. I would really suggest adding detailed descriptions of the palace, the inner chambers, and the hustle-bustle around it so that it makes the readers visualize the story as if it's happening right in front of them. Secondly, the ratio of dialogue to description is very off as I find more dialogues and fewer descriptions. I would suggest having a keen balance between the both to ease the flow of reading. Apart from that the usage of words and the writing does carry a scent of professionalism which is a bonus when it comes to writing a novel.

Grammar (7/10):
Regarding grammar, there are a few grammatical errors like punctuation mistakes such as in the first chapter:

Original: “What a useless child why would Martha leave us this burden”
Revised: “What a useless child! Why would Martha leave us this burden?”

Overall, The story is simply amazing driving us into the life of Elaine and walking us through the hardships as a maid in the confines of the palace and that not everyone is a Cinderella lmao but with the changes mentioned above the story is simply going to shine!

─⁠──⁠──⁠──⁠─ ⋄ ☾∘☽ ⋄ ─⁠──⁠──⁠──⁠─

Thank you for requesting a review from us. Do let us know what you think so that we can improve to better provide for authors like you.