22

You go the whole ride to Aoba Johsai without talking to Hinata. Hell, you didn't even look in his direction, even though you really wanted to. You were just upset that he really didn't wanna talk to you. You were hoping that everything would work itself out, but that wasn't the case. During the ride, Hinata ended up feeling so bad that he threw up and it caused quite the commotion on the bus. That was the first sign that things weren't gonna go so well for a bit.

When you all got off the bus after reaching your destination, you walked over to your friend. "Are you feeling alright, Shoyo?"

Hinata slowly turns to face you. "Uh, better than I was when I was throwing up. I'm still kinda nervous to be having this match." He hesitates. "Hey, um, Y/n, I'm really sorry about what I said to you earlier. I - I just wasn't ready to tell you everything. I don't know when I'll be ready, but I promise to let you know before things get really bad."

You slowly start smiling. "It's ok, Shoyo. I was probably being too pushy. Tell me on your own terms. I'll wait as long as it takes. I'm always here for you. No matter what's bothering you, or when you're ready to tell me, you can always talk to me. Now, I've got to go help Kiyoko-san. I'll see you in a bit." You walk off to join the manager, helping her with anything she needs.

Soon, more chaos broke out with the boys, Hinata becoming more nervous than before. From what you were able to see, Kageyama was getting ready to hit Hinata and Sugawara had to hold him back.

You turn to Kiyoko as the scene was unfolding. "Should we go help them out, or...?"

She shakes her head. "I don't get involved with them. I just let the boys be boys. Come on, we should follow Takeda-sensei to the gym. You wouldn't want to get lost at another school, would you?"

You chuckle, walking away with her while carrying some of the supplies needed for this match. "No. I think getting lost is the last thing I need right now. I'm already clearly not from the same school as the rest of the students here, my uniform gives it away. I don't want the weird stares I'll be given if I get lost."

Kiyoko giggles. "Don't worry, just stay by my side and there won't be any problems. Let's hurry, the sooner we get there and set up, the sooner we'll be able to relax before the boys start playing."

You nod, walking quicker with the girl. "I wonder what the guys on this team are like. Think they'll be rude or flirtatious?"

"Why do you think rude?"

"They're picking on Kageyama. I doubt they're very nice." You let your eyes wander, taking in the sights of the campus. "Think someone will hit on us?"

Her lips form a thin line. "For the sake of keeping our team in line, I hope no one does. I can already imagine Tanaka and the third years becoming overprotective if they even catch a glimpse of someone flirting with me." She nudges you as a grin forms on her face. "I can also imagine all of the first years losing their shit if they see someone hitting on you."

You keep yourself from laughing. "I have a feeling the whole team would act like delinquents if they were to see someone hitting on either of us. It's like having a boyfriend and a whole bunch of brothers."

"Oh? Hinata-kun is your boyfriend now? When's the wedding?"

"Kiyoko!"

The boys however, were trying to keep their heads up. Hinata ran off to a bathroom, his stomach becoming upset. Tanaka and Tsukishima were about to pick a fight with Kindaichi and Yahaba from Aoba Johsai's team. Daichi had to step in, practically dragging a few of his teammates to the gym. When they were all inside of the gym, the boys started warming up. Daichi ended asking Kiyoko to talk to Hinata, hoping to get nerves settled, but it only made things worse.

You sigh, walking over to your crush and holding his hands in your own. "Shoyo, look me in the eye. Everything is fine. You should be excited. You're going to actually be playing volleyball. What's there to be nervous about?"

His eye tremble as they look into yours. "What if I do bad and Kageyama throws me away?"

"That'll never happen. If something goes wrong, I'll be here to help you through it. Kageyama can't do shit with me around. You know I'd never lie to you, right?"

He nods. "Thanks, Y/n. I think I feel better."

"Good." You let go of his hands, giving his head a quick pat. "You've got this, Shoyo." You walk back over to where Kiyoko and Takeda are.

Hinata takes a deep breath. I know I'm going to fuck this up. What onion head said... I feel like if I do something wrong, Kageyama won't need or want me anymore. And with Y/n watching, I'm even more nervous about making a mistake. I can't make mistakes! Do everything right!

***

Hinata had been a nervous wreck during the entire set. At the end, he served the ball right to the back of Kageyama's head.

Your hold your hands over your eyes, then spread your fingers to see what happens. "I beg to every being in the known universe, don't let Kageyama hit Shoyo."

You watched as Kageyama calmly, yet irritated, walk over to Hinata. He made a mini speech, the main point being that Hinata had nothing to be scared of. I mean, he already hit the back of Kageyama's head. There's nothing that could possibly be scarier than that. Kageyama was able to get the short middle blocker back to normal.

Unfortunately, they had already lost the first set. But they were determined to win the rest.

You watched as they all walked over to get drinks from their water bottles. They had a quick talk, then lined back up for the second set.