32

The boys were taking a break from practice. So, you took this as your chance to talk to him, one on one.

"Shoyo. Can you come outside with me for a bit?"

Hinata looks at you, eyes going wide for split second. "Uh, sure." He follows you out of the gym, making sure to remain a meter away from you. "Is everything alright, Y/n?"

You sigh. "I was really worried when you didn't come back with the others. I felt upset when Kageyama and Daichi said you had gotten lost. I ran out to look for you, even though they tried assuring me that Sugawara-senpai could handle finding you on his own. You know I care about you, right?"

Hinata looked down, feeling as if he couldn't look you in the eye. "Sorry. I didn't mean to make you worry. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I ran with my eyes closed, not knowing where I was going. I should've been more careful. I'm really sorry."

You step closer to him, throwing your arms around him and pulling him close. "What if something happened to you?"

He was shocked, to say the least. The last thing he was expecting from you in this moment was you hugging him. Based on your shaking, he could tell that you were starting to cry. He exhales, wrapping his arms around you and began to rub your back soothingly. "I'm sorry. Please don't cry. I didn't mean to make you worry. It won't happen again."

"You know I love you, right? More than anyone else."

Hinata froze, tensing. His eyes were wide. Is this a confession? "Wh-what are you saying, Y/n-chan? You love me? You mean, like, friends?"

You shake your head. "No, Shoyo. As in, I want to be your girlfriend." You move away a little, looking into his eyes.

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. All this time, she wanted to be my girlfriend? What do I do? I mean, I think I might be feeling the same, but I don't think I'd ever be good enough for her. I cut myself, feel like dying most of the time. How could she ever want to be with me if she were to ever find out about all that. If I return her feelings, I won't be able to let her know about my depression for a really long time. I might never be able to tell her.

You sigh, looking down. "Look, it's ok if you don't feel the same. I was just thinking that it was time for me to tell you how I really feel." You slowly pull away from him. "Sorry for springing this up on you. It was probably too soon for you."

Hinata reaches out to grab you before you could move away. "It's not that. I like you, too, but -"

"Let me guess, not in the same way? I kinda saw that coming." You refuse to look into his eyes, feeling tears build up.

"No! I just think that I'm not good enough for you. I always thought that you deserved the best, that only the best things would make you happy. It's not that I don't want to date you, it's just that I didn't think I was the right person for you." He took a deep breath, cupping your cheek in his hand. "Look at me, Y/n."

You look up, meeting his serious gaze. "Shoyo?"

He looks into your eyes, using an arm to wrap around your waist and keep you close to him. "I want to be your boyfriend. Do - do you want to try a relationship with me? If you change your mind at any time, you can do whatever you want. I won't do anything you don't like, I'll wait for you to be ready before doing anything."

You chuckle, wrapping your arms around him. "I'd love that, Shoyo." You give him a kiss on the cheek, then pull yourself out of his grasp. "Let's go back inside before the others get worried." You turn your back to him, smiling as you feel your face become hotter than you have ever felt it to be.

Hinata smiles, glad that things seemed to work out with you two. "Yeah." He grabs your hand, leading you back into the gym. Once inside, he lets go of your hand and heads back onto the court. "I'll spend some time with you a little later, ok?"

You nod. "I'll watch you until then." You walked over to the other girl in the gym, happily standing beside her. "Girl, we have so much to talk about when we get home."

Kiyoko grabs your hands. "You mean, like, actual girl talk?"

You nod, smiling from ear to ear. "We get to have actual girl talk after we get back to your house. Do you think we could include your mom in our talk? I'd feel bad about leaving her out, especially since she has been so kind and welcomed me into her home."

Kiyoko chuckled. "I think my mom would be thrilled to join. You might just make her day by telling her you were thinking about letting her join us in the first place. I think you might get her to bake tonight, with the news you clearly seem to have." She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. "I mean, I think I have a good guess of what you might have to say, just based on how you're smiling."

You giggle. "Who knows. You'll have to wait for the news. I don't want to say anything at practice."

"BOKE, HINATA BOKE!"

You look over, seeing a ball flying over to you and Kiyoko. Without wasting even a second, you back up slightly and get into a receiving position. When the ball hits your arm, you send it back to the guys on the court. "Shoyo, be careful with how you receive the ball! Try sending it up instead of to the sides!"

Hinata let out a relieved sigh, just feeling better that it didn't hit you or the manager. "Right! Sorry!" He turns back to his team, going back to concentrating on watching where the ball goes. He tries his hardest to focus on playing, but he was still thinking about you. How did I get so lucky to make the most amazing girl in the world fall in love with me?