Never Meant It To Happen (Marlijah)

Elijah Mikaelson stood awkwardly in the middle of room, not sure how to begin.

 "Well?" Marcel Gerard sat in the chair, staring him down with steely eyes. "What do you want, Elijah? You can't be stupid enough to realize you're not welcome here."

 "I know I'm not welcome anymore," Elijah said. "I came to say I'm sorry."

 Marcel nodded. "Go on."

 "I didn't want to risk Davina's life. It looked like the only choice we had. Lucien was going to kill all of us. I was thinking about my family. I was trying to save them. And I know you're angry at Niklaus right now, but please don't blame him for this; he was against the idea. Don't blame Freya either. It was my fault. I'll go now." Elijah turned to leave.

 "Just a minute, Elijah." Marcel got up from his chair. "Davina was like a daughter to me. I loved her, and I know she loved me too. I know you were trying to save your family from Lucien, but there could have been another way, a way you just weren't seeing." 

 "But there wasn't. There was no time-"

 "But there could have been! That's the point, Elijah! Now a young woman who didn't deserve to die is dead, and it's because of you." Marcel reached his hand out and brushed his fingers against Elijah's cheek. "It's a shame it had to be your call."

 "What do you mean by that?" Elijah asked.

 "It's a shame, because it's hard to look at you now." Marcel leaned closer and lowered his voice to a whisper into Elijah's ear. "And I've always liked looking at you."

 "I still don't understand, Marcellus." Why did Marcel touching him feel so good? 

 Marcel moved away and looked him straight in the eyes. "What do you think I'm trying to say?"

 Elijah's eyes widened. "But...I had thought...you and Rebekah-I thought you still harbored feelings for her."

 Marcel shrugged. "Well, I'm always gonna care about Bekah. But that doesn't mean I can't feel something for you, does it?" 

 Before Elijah could register what was happening, he was in Marcel's arms and Marcel was kissing him. His first thought was to pull away and run, but something about Marcel's kiss felt good, and made him not want to let go.

 "See? You feel it too, don't you?" Marcel kept his hands on Elijah's waist and began to kiss his neck. 

 "Yes," Elijah whispered. "I feel it."

 Then a face flashed in his mind. Hayley.

 "Wait." He pulled away from Marcel. "I don't think I can do this. There's..."

 "Are you seriously thinking of Hayley right now?" Marcel scoffed. "That girl has pushed you away so many times, we've all lost count. Why don't you try someone who actually appreciates you for a change?"

 Marcel pulled Elijah into another kiss. This time Elijah did not even try to stop him. He let Marcel grab him by the waist and take him upstairs.

~~~~~~

 When Elijah exited the building a few hours later, he heard, "So, you didn't kill each other, huh?"

 Elijah turned to see Hayley leaning against the building.

 "There are times when vampire hearing does not come in handy," she said with a weak smile. 

 Elijah's eyes widened when he realized she had heard everything between him and Marcel. "Hayley, I-"

 "It's okay, Elijah. You don't have to explain. Who you have sex with is your deal. I have to go." She quickly left.

 Now Elijah felt horrible. Had she gone there looking for him? Was she hurt that he'd been with Marcel? 

That girl has pushed you away so many times, we've all lost count.

 That was true. But did Marcel really appreciate him?

 Elijah quickly walked in the direction of home. He had quite a bit of thinking to do.