Mikael #4

You look up at the church. This is it, the place where Davina Claire has to be keeping Mikael. After watching her for a week, this seems to be the most likely place.

 You step inside the church, half-expecting some kind of booby-trap to spring. But nothing happens, and there doesn't seem to be anyone here. You smile to yourself. If Mikael is here, there will be no one to stop you from rescuing him from that little witch.

 You walk through the front room, to a flight of stairs in the back. You stand at the foot of the steps, straining to listen. From somewhere upstairs, very lightly, came the sound of footsteps, pacing along the floor.

 Smiling, you hurry up the stairs until you come to a little room. The door is open, and a man is pacing back and forth along the attic floor.

 "Mikael," you say in a whisper.

 He turns, and sees you standing in the hall. "Y/N?" He steps closer. "Is it you?"

 "Yes." You step forward. "It's me, Mikael. I've been looking for you."

 As you move towards the threshold, he says, "No. Don't. There's some sort of magic barrier on the door. If you can come in, you might not be able to get out."

 "I know. That little witch, Davina Claire, right?"

 He nods. "When the Other Side was collapsing, I got her to bring me back, resurrect me. I promised her I would kill Niklaus for her." He sighs. "And then I get locked in an attic."

 "And that is where I come in," you say. "I'm the rescue party, obviously. If there's a way I can get you out of here, I am going to find it. Then we can go kill Klaus."

 He scoffs. "You make it sound so simple."

 "It can be that simple. Look, Mikael, I know you're probably not feeling very mighty right now, but I am going to go find a way to get you out of here. Just hang in there, okay?"

 "Do you have to leave so soon?" he asked.

 You give him a sad smile. "I would stay longer, but I have to break you out of here, remember? Hang in there, Mikael. I should be back soon."

 You hurry back down the stairs, determined to get the job done. His eyes had always been a mixture of anger and sadness, but there's also a look of hopelessness. You're going to give him back some hope, whether he actually realizes it or not.