Her Own Kind

When Katherine Pierce arrived in Austria, she did not plan to meet any evil vampire women.

 She herself was something of an evil vampire woman. So, when she saw the dark-haired woman feeding on the a young girl as if she had not a care in the world, she knew she was dealing with her own kind.

 "You really enjoy feeding of the living, don't you?" she asked.

 The other vampire looked up at her, blood smeared across her lips. "What does it matter to you?" 

 Katherine shrugged. "Not much. I think I may see a kindred spirit in you. You call me Katherine. Do you have a name?"

 "Carmilla. Why?"

 "Where did you get that name from?" Katherine asked. 

 "I rearranged the letters of my old name, Mircalla. Why does any of this matter to you?"

 "Like I said, I think I see a kindred spirit in you. Shall I call you Carmilla or Mircalla? They're both strange, so I don't see how it matters."

 Carmilla shoved the now-lifeless body she had been feeding from aside. "How do I know your name is Katherine? You could be in disguise."

 "Coincidentally enough," Katherine said, "My real name is Katerina, not Katherine. But if you will call me Katherine, I will call you Carmilla if that is what you prefer."

 "It is what I prefer," Carmilla snapped. "What are you doing out in this country, Katherine? You don't seem the type to go traipsing through a forest."

 "Usually, I don't. But I felt like exploring tonight. Why don't you join me, Carmilla?"

 Carmilla gave a hard stare before breaking into a smile. "Why not? I believe I like you, Katherine."

 As they walked through the forest, Carmilla asked, "What brings you to Styria, Katherine?"

 "I am keeping my distance from Klaus Mikaelson. Have you ever heard of him?"

 Carmilla seemed to flinch at his name. "I had...an encounter with the Mikaelsons, about a century ago."

 "Did you? What happened?"

 "I seduced Rebekah Mikaelson and nearly convinced her to run away with me. The brothers chased me away. She was quite the lady."

 "That would explain it," Katherine said. "Whenever one if Klaus Mikaelson's siblings take a lover, the lover always seems to end up dead soon enough. You were lucky to escape with your life. Was it here, in Styria?"

 She nodded. "My ancestral home was in Styria. In my human life, I was Mircalla, Countess Karnstein. And it would seem that in your human life, you were Katerina."

 "I was. Why are you back here feeding off village girls?"

 "I seem to be rather good at seducing innocent girls," Carmilla said with a smile. "But  there is one girl I plan to catch, one who lives not very far away from here. Her name is Laura, and I intend to make her my own."

 "Well...good luck with that, I suppose." Katherine could see from Carmilla's determined look that she planned to catch this Laura and keep her. "When will you be going?"

 "Very soon. The house is just that way. Are you leaving already, Katherine?"

 "I think so," Katherine said. "Good luck with your...quest."

 As Katherine walked away, she wondered just what kind of dark, vicious woman she had just spoken to.