Valerie Tulle #1

The café is quieter than usual, so you finally get a break. You are so engrossed in your book that you don't even hear the door when another customer enters. You only look up when you hear a voice say, "Um, excuse me."

 A young blonde woman is standing at the counter, looking at you.

 "Um, hi," you say, awkwardly closing your book. "Sorry. What are you ordering?"

 She shrugs. "Just a coffee, I guess. Whatever you would recommend."

 "Um, sure." You've dealt with some picky customers in your time, and you're a little surprised at her indifference. So you start putting together a favorite of yours and ask, "You new around here? I don't think I've seen you around before."

 She nods. "I just got here. I'm Valerie."

 You smile. "Y/N. Nice to meet you, Valerie. How long are you going to be in the area?" 

 She shrugs again. "I don't know. Probably not for too long. Do you live here?"

 "Just a few blocks away." You hand her the coffee. "Try that. It's a favorite of mine."

 She tentatively takes a sip. "It's good."

 "I know, right? So, what brings you here? Not much happens here."

 "I'm just doing some travelling. Been trying to find some purpose to my life." She gets up and pays for the coffee. "Thank you, Y/N." 

 "You're welcome. Will you be back around?"

 "Probably, if I'm still in town. Bye."

 You watch her leave. That is a strange woman, you think. She seemed sad and lonely, maybe hiding some dark secret.

 You wonder if she will come back; you'd like to talk to her again.