The Encounter in the Woods

Styria, Austria, 1697

 Rebekah Mikaelson was happy to get outside away from her brothers. She loved them, but they could be awful. She walked on into the woods, alone in her own thoughts.

 "You're a lovely creature, aren't you?"

 Rebekah stopped walked and whipped her head around. "Who's there?"

 "There's nothing to fear. Only a vampire lady such as yourself."

 The woman who stepped out from behind the tree was the most beautiful woman Rebekah had ever laid eyes on. Unlike the way Rebekah kept her hair pinned up, the lady's dark hair tumbled freely past her shoulders. She wore a simple black gown and possessed a pair of piercing black eyes.

 "Who are you?" was all Rebekah could think of to say. She could not tear herself away from this woman.

 "Call me Carmilla, my sweet. And who might you be?"

 "Rebekah Mikaelson. You-You're beautiful," she blurted out.

 Carmilla smiled. "Thank you, dear. Tell me," she slipped her arm through Rebekah's and began to pull her down the path, "what is a lady like yourself doing out here alone?"

 "Do you know who I am? I am an Original; I don't need protection."

 The other woman smiled somewhat deviously. "No, of course you do not. Do not worry, my dear. I know of the Originals, and do not wish to harm you. In fact," she reached out to stroke Rebekah's cheek, "you are quite beautiful. Surely there must be a handsome man in your life, Rebekah."

 Rebekah felt a chill inside her when Carmilla said her name. "No, there is not. If there ever was, he would almost always meet his end at the hands of my brother Niklaus."

 "Oh." Carmilla gave her a sympathetic look. "Poor dear. What a horrible man he must be. You should come with me. Forget your horrible brothers."

 Rebekah pushed her away and took a step back. "Why should I? I don't know you."

 "But you can, my sweet. Be mine. It is not very difficult."

 Carmilla cupped the youngest Mikaelson's face in both her hands and kissed her warmly, but firmly. Surprising both of them, Rebekah kissed her back.

 The kiss was interrupted by someone pushing Carmilla up against a tree. It was Klaus.

 "Who are you?" he demanded. "What do you mean to do to my sister?"

 "Niklaus, let go of her!" Rebekah cried.

 "So you are Rebekah's horrible brother." Carmilla gave him a smile. "I see why she would leave with me."

 Klaus actually looked surprised. Carmilla took advantage of that moment to disappear.

 Klaus then turned to Rebekah. He grabbed by the arm and practically dragged her home.

 "Get out of my sight," he growled, "before I do decide to dagger you." 

 Rebekah went to find Elijah, the one brother she knew she could trust. He was in the drawing room, playing his harpsichord, blissfully unaware of anything else happening. When Rebekah approached, he stopped playing and looked up at her.

 "Has something happened?" he asked.

 Not wanting to talk, she just wrapped her arms around him. Words could wait.

 Rebekah would always wonder about Carmilla, whoever she was. 

~~~~~~

Facts: Carmilla is a vampire novella that was serialized from 1871-1872 and published as a full novella in 1872. It was written by Irish writer Joseph Sheridan LeFanu.

 Styria is a real place in Austria: it's where Carmilla took place. I don't know if the area is still called Styria, though.