The Mikaelsons React: Name Meanings

In honor of reaching the big 10K, we are back.

 Once, out of curiosity, I looked up the meanings of the Mikaelsons' first names. I have been debating whether or not to do this, because the stuff I find out about their may or may not cause a riot.

 Klaus: Can we get on with already? We all have lives, you know. 

 Well, I also have a life, so I do plan to 'get on with it'. I think we'll go from oldest to youngest, so I guess we'll be starting with Mikael. 

 Mikael: Scandinavian and Finnish form of Michael, which comes from a Hebrew name meaning 'Who is like God?', which is a rhetorical question because no one is like God.

 Mikael: Leave it to my parents to come up with something like that.

 Esther: Possibly means 'star' in Persian, but could also be a derivative of the Near Eastern goddess Ishtar.

 Esther: So my name either comes from a star or a goddess?

 I guess so. Either way, it sounds good.

 Freya: Comes from the Old Norse 'Freyja' meaning 'lady'. Freya was also the Norse goddess of love and beauty.

 Freya: Well, that's kind of obvious, since I'm a lady. I don't know how I would do as a love goddess, though.

 Finn: Older Irish form of Fionn, which means 'fair' or 'white'. It's also an old Norse name which meant 'person from Finland'.

 Finn: Of course. I get stuck wit the name that has nothing to do with me or my personality at all. My parents must have been in a real daze that day.

 Elijah: Hebrew for 'My God is Yahweh'. Elijah was the name of a Hebrew prophet in the Bible. 

 Klaus: Elijah, do you know how incredibly strange it is that you're a vampire with a Bible name?

 Elijah: (sighs) Yes, Niklaus, I know.

 Niklaus: The Swiss German form of Nicholas, which means 'victory of the people'. 

 Kol: So, his name doesn't mean 'evil overlord of the universe'?

 Finn: Or have anything to do with evil at all?

 Klaus: How did I end up with a German name if we're Scandinavian? 

 Kol: Means 'voice' in Hebrew.

 Klaus: Well, you're certainly not afraid to voice your thoughts on things.

 Kol: No, I'm not, am I?

 Rebekah: Form of Rebecca, which comes from a Hebrew name possibly meaning 'join', 'tie', or 'snare'. 

 Kol: Well, you certainly know how to ensnare men, Rebekah.

 Rebekah: And just what are you trying to say about me?

 Henrik: Form of Henry, which comes from the Germanic name meaning 'home ruler'.

 Henrik: I don't get it, then. I'm not a ruler of anything. I think I'm too young to be a ruler, anyway. 

 Those were the name meanings I found. And then there's this stuff: 

 1. 'Mikael' spelled like that is apparently pronounced MEE-kah-el.

 2. Rebekah and Freya's last name should be Mikaelsdotter, or a similar spelling, because it means 'daughter of Mikael'. I've actually known that for a while. 

 3. Mikael and Esther's last names are not actually 'Mikaelson'. It would be son and daughter of whoever each of their fathers was.

 4. Apparently the writers think we're too stupid to comprehend this stuff.

 Klaus: I protest!

 Mikael: I've been saying my name wrong all this time?

 Esther: You did say your parents weren't quite right in their heads.

 Freya: So, our grandparents were the village crazy people or something?

 Elijah: It's not very difficult to comprehend, is it?

 Rebekah: Do they think we're all stupid?

 Finn: They're probably the stupid ones.

 Kol: I say we have a strike!

 You guys want to have a strike now? You just got renewed for another season.

 Henrik: What's a strike?

 Mikael: I think it's when we all protest about something or other.

 Klaus: I hope no one ever notices these things. It's embarrassing.

 If you say so, Klaus. But no strikes.