Singing in the car

Singing In The Car

Niall: (‘Come On Eileen’ by Dexy’s Midnight Runners) You’re just pulling into the carpark of the grocery store when the song comes on the radio, and you fumble for the volume control with a yell, even as Niall begins to open his door. “No! Everyone is forbidden from leaving the car until this song is over!” You drag him back in, much to his amusement, and set about dancing wildly, arms above your head and hips wriggling in your seat. Niall joins in as soon as the chorus hits, still laughing, and so the two of you sit in your car while people walk past, dancing furiously to a song no one else can hear.

Harry: (‘Let It Go’ from the Frozen soundtrack) It’s belted out, turned up on full volume while the two of you drive to some event, with Harry flinging sharp turns around corners, pumped up by the music. There are lots of dramatic hand movements and heads being flung back as you try and hit the high notes. You don’t get a lot of the words out, laughing too hard at Harry rolling his window down and serenading the car beside you, and by the time you arrive at the event, your cheeks are flushed and you’re still laughing, but the nerves that had been bubbling up have disappeared (which is why Harry put the song on in the first place).

Liam: ('It Girl' by Jason Derulo) It’s playing on the radio when you open the passenger side door, peeking in to find Liam’s body bopping along with it as he leans over to kiss you good morning. You settle in, bag at your feet as Liam pulls away from the curb, and watch as he mouths along with the words, glancing behind him to check his blind spot, fingers tapping against the steering wheel with the beat. You don’t hesitate to turn the radio up, singing it obnoxiously, and Liam grins at you before he joins in.

Louis: ('Alone' by Celine Dion) You’re driving to Doncaster and there’s been a mix of his music and yours, as well as a bit from the radio, and by the time this song comes on you’re in the second hour and hyped on sweets from the gas station, so immediately it’s turned up until it’s vibrating through the car. Louis does the whole thing, mouth open, doing air grabs and pretending to flip his hair back. It’s quite amusing really, especially when you start aiming the gummy bears into his mouth while he belts out the warbling ‘alooooone’.

Zayn: ('What Makes You Beautiful' by One Direction) You let out a little whoop as the radio announcer recites the name of the song before hitting play, and Zayn is already hurrying to turn it off while also trying to turn a corner, so you manage to bat his hand away and turn it up. Liam’s familiar voice, sounding so much younger, begins playing through the card and you begin to sing along, waving your arms and doing classic boy band air grabs while Zayn shakes his head, biting his lip to suppress a smile. By the time you hit the last chorus, Zayn is swaying, nodding his head and belting it out with you, still able to hit all the notes perfectly.