Baking

Baking

Niall: By the time you actually put the cake in the oven half the batter is missing, after you’d got bored halfway through and taken the mixing bowl into the lounge room to watch television, using teaspoons to eat the mixture. So the chocolate cake is rather small and thin, but Niall deems it perfect anyway, adopting a French accent for no apparent reason as he makes you sit on bench and watch as he dusts icing sugar over the top before cutting a slice for you. There’s too much cocoa powder and it’s a little overcooked, but you’ve got your legs wrapped around Niall’s waist and his fingers are tucked into the waistband of your jeans and everything is just a little bit perfect.

Harry: The cupcakes don’t even make it to the tray, Harry cracks an egg over your hair when you’re reaching for the spoon to transfer them into the tins, and you retaliate by throwing flour at him. By the time the food fight is over, full of squeals and yelling and laughter, most of the batter is smeared over Harry’s t-shirt and there’s milk staining your jeans, so Harry convinces you to abandon the mess and have a shower with him instead. You don’t get back to the kitchen for some time.

Liam: Your parents are coming for dinner and you’re rushing around everywhere, still in sweatpants even as you set the table, hair wet and make up half on. Liam manages to snag you as you’re rushing past to check on the sponge cake, cupping your face in his hands and kissing you gently. “Hey, calm down. They’re going to love it no matter what.” “But the cake,” you gesture vaguely in the direction of the oven, quite distracted by how close he is, “It’s my Mum’s recipe, and it has to be right.” “Well, I’ll help you then, okay?” You smile, leaning up to kiss him, “Okay.”

Louis: Rose’s school is having a bake sale and the three of you spend the summer afternoon in the kitchen, the windows all open and the radio on, sunlight dappling the surfaces as Louis dances first Rose around the kitchen, and then when she insists on cracking the eggs, you, making sure to pull you as tight as possible against his body. The cupcakes are slightly messy and the pink icing is leaning more towards red, but they taste magnificent and the three of you end up eating about six on the kitchen floor.

Zayn: You’d had the afternoon free, and so spent it making brownies, making sure to put in double the chocolate bits and just pulling them out of the oven when Zayn came home, face tired and body sore from the long flight. After making sure to kiss you plenty of times, he caught sight of the brownies sitting on the counter, “Oh my god, I love you.” You escape from his grip just long enough to grab one, holding it up for him to try, “This is amazing,” he manages to say, brownie crumbs spraying, much to your amusement. “I’m glad,” you smile, leaning up to kiss him, “Welcome home.”