What He's Like When You're In Labour

What He’s Like When You’re In Labour

A/N: I really want to apologise for the gap between preferences, I’m just not feeling great at the moment and kind of lacking in inspiration, and I’m really sorry.

Niall: He’s anxious. He’s not sure if he’s ready to be a Dad, not sure if he’s even able to help you deliver your child, your fingers tight around his hand as you squeeze your eyes closed, hissing through your teeth, the machine you’re hooked up to beeping through your contraction. “Babe,” he murmurs, brushing some hair from your face, and his face gives everything away, every single emotion, but you just smile up at him, the doctor arriving, here to tell you that it’s time to push, and he knows he can do anything if you’re by his side.  

Harry: He’s sympathetic. And while that does teeter on slightly irritating when you’re trying to give birth, sharp pain ripping up your abdomen, you know he means well. Big hands hovering over your face, pulling your hair back, rubbing your shoulders encouragingly. And he’s smiling the whole way through, so excited and nervous and ready for this kid to come, and maybe that’s what gets you through, concentrating on that big, loving smile that convinced you to walk up to Harry that first time years ago. 

Liam: He’s supportive. Not overly supportive, not telling you to push harder, work harder, because he knows you’re doing the best you can. He’s just there, smiling at you, handing you water and damp cloths and his hand to hold, because this is as much his journey as it is yours. He breathes with you when you ask him to, kisses your sweaty cheek and tells you you’re incredible. And all the way through, hours and hours, he’s right here, ready to tell you that it’s all going to be okay.

Louis: He’s excited. Because this is what he’s always wanted, right? A family. A family with you. Just you, and only you, and he can’t imagine doing it with anyone else. You’re holding back tears, listening desperately to the doctors constant reassurance, while Louis bounces slightly in his seat, smiling. But as soon as the first serious contraction rips through your stomach, his smile’s gone, the buzz disappearing, because you’re in pain. Serious pain. Pain that makes you cry and grip his hand so tight he thinks you might break it. And that’s scary for him.

Zayn: He’s concerned. And, yeah, he knows he should be pumped for a  child, but right now, his priority is to get you through the labour. He’s heard stories, awful stories, and although he’d dismissed them while hearing them, because you’re perfectly healthy, why would anything go wrong, now they’re coming right back to front of his mind. He’s slightly terrified the whole way through, even though you refuse pain medication, insisting you can push through it, and he can only breathe probably when he’s presented a tiny baby, and you smiling sleepily, safely, up at him.