The Seeking

Alysha was mad. Boiling mad. As mad as hell.

"Where the fuck does a snake go, in the middle of LONDON!" She growled frustratedly through gritted teeth.

A night of fruitless searching, following the interruption of her sister's very important birthday had worn her small thread of patience thin.
Now, literally looking under every bush and overturning every stone she could find in desperate frustration, she was debating upon finding this pesky reptile the ethics of chopping her into little chunks and leaving them outside the den of something big and carnivorous.

Aggravated, she viciously kicked the unsuspecting bush, taking pleasure in the loud sound of snapping wood that finally resulted from her angry stomping.
Grinning with the satisfaction that her wanton distruction had brought, she delved her hands into her pockets to pull out a packet of strawberry bootlaces, munching loudly on the red strings as she wandered aimlessly around the park.

"Queenie!" She called out around her mouthful of gummy sweetness. "Queeeenie, where arrrre you? Come out, come out wherever you are! I'm totally not going to... Bite your head off... honest." She ended her shout muttering through gritted teeth.

"Hello!" A small voice piped up behind her. "You lookin' for someone? Cause you're shouting dere name. Are you lost?"

Alysha spun around sharply on her heel. Behind her, a little girl with brown pigtails and a big grin stood in a pink raincoat.

Alysha froze like a rabbit caught in the headlights. "Uh..."

"Can help you find dem, if you want." The young girl said happily. "Bein' lost is scarwy. My mummy's back there. She can help."

"Uh... Shoo. Go away..." Alysha forced out, a feeling something like panic twisting in her stomach.

"Mummy!" The little girl called out, rushing away across the park to get her mother.
Taking the chance, Alysha took off at a run, speeding away through the morning mist into the trees.

It felt so good to run. After so many years of being trapped in the caves and in the mirrors, looking out on the world but being unable to reach it; but now, she was free. Out in the world, so wide and so beautiful and ripe for her to explore and play. And now, she had the perfect playmate too, her wonderful little sister, who she was going to show everything to and share everything with.

Damn that slippery serpent, coming in and ruining her fun.

Where on earth would she be, anyway? She couldn't move that fast, right?
... Or perhaps she could. Which was immediately worse.

Huffing out a loud breath of air, she wandered down the road, swinging her arms almost childishly in time to a tune she was humming. A dancing tune, it sounded like. From a party long ago.

With a slight spring in her step, she carried on down the road in little dancing movements, pirouetting on her toes with her hands raised to the sky, as if with just a little stretch more, she could dip her fingers in the soft  colours of the sky.  Screw it. Nothing could ruin this day, or any day in fact, not now or ever.
She was free.

Giggling girlishly at her moment of childish enjoyment, she tried to force her thoughts back into order to continue her important search.
But this was no fun anymore, and she didn't want to play. Damn this. Why did she have to be the responsible one?
Sulking, she wrapped her arms around herself and stomped onwards, cursing out the pesky serpent under her breath. "Queenie, I'm going to put you in a jar and pickle you in vinegar for all you've put me through. I swear."

Rain began to spit lightly around her, a precursor to something oncoming that was threatening to catch her up in its midst. Alysha narrowed her eyes defiantly at the sky, as if daring it to do its worst.

Ducking down alleys and pathways as if she were trying to outrun the rainclouds, she wound her way around the city, exploring every nook and cranny.

Until finally, oh so finally, she came upon the tent.

Dun dun duuuuuun! XD

Sorry its a short one guys, a bit pressed for time today, so I decided to do one that explored a bit of Alysha's mindset, whilst building up tension. Better than agonising over the main event for the whole day, as that really needs some care and attention to get just so.
As I've mentioned before, I'm in the midst of exam season, so unfortunately it's a bit awkward to write properly sometimes. But I'm trying :)

Feedback always appreciated!