Expectations And Reality

"... Sometimes, I think you can never really know a person, you know what I'm saying?
Like, if you think about it, no one treats you exactly the same way they do anyone else. You never get to see all their faces."

"... And you wonder why you got a headache." He said, head propped up on his elbow as he lay alongside her, playing with the curls of her bangs.
"You think too hard."

"I do not. I'm just naturally busy minded." Nyx said, pulling her blankets up higher around her shoulders.

He chuckled, tracing his finger along her jaw.

Raising her hand, she pushed it away, intertwining their fingers instead.
"Life's just... Complicated."

"That I'll agree with."

"Sometimes, I wish it could all just stay like this. Just this, right here right now, when the world's at peace and everything's good."

"It could if you wanted it to." He said, catching her gaze and looking intently into her eyes, thumb rubbing circles on the back of her hand.

Nyx looked down, away from his gaze, shrugging.
"To much I just have to deal with. Feels like I've got the weight of the world on my shoulders, some days."

"Well, you're holding it up marvelously." He smiled, pressing his lips to her temple.

She giggled quietly. "Doesn't feel like it. So much I have to do."

"Why?"

That question puzzled her. "What do you mean, 'Why'? Because I have to, that's why."

"You don't have to do anything. Not if you don't want to."

Nyx turned, grinning up at the ceiling, eyes twinkling with laughter. "Mmm, it's a nice thought, isn't it? Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that."

"Actually..." His grin was practically devilish as his lips brushed her ear. "Despite what everyone says, I'll think you'll find it does."

Nyx paused for a moment, thinking about it, then chuckled. "Nah, if that were true, it'd be total chaos."

"A little chaos isn't that bad." His lips brushed the corner of her mouth, smiling wickedly.

Gently turning her face towards him, he then kissed her, slowly at first then getting more and more heated.

Nyx pulled back, panting hard.
"Whoa." She breathed, flushing.

He smirked a little, watching her intently, eyes locked on her face as he waited to see what she'd do.

Nyx swallowed, trembling slightly as her thoughts scattered in a million and one different directions.
"Uh... You make an interesting case." She managed, internally cringing at how she sounded.

He raised an eyebrow, definitely smirking now, smug with himself.
"I can investigate it more thoroughly, if you'd like."

She swallowed hard, face definitely coloured hot now. "Uh... What were we talking about?"

He laughed, head lolling back onto the mattress.

He turned to her, practically nose to nose, hand lightly brushing a path from her wrist up her arm, almost involuntarily.
"We were talking about you doing what you want to."

"Doing what I want to... " She rolled the phrase around her mouth, tasting it.
"Hmm... You know, I'm not sure what that would be?
But let's not worry about that. Let's just enjoy the now. I like this."

He went in for a kiss again, and she let him, but only briefly.

Gently, he pushed her disheveled curls back from her face, resting his hand on her cheek.
He looked at her for a long moment.
"Come away with me."

"What? Just..."

"Yeah. We can go, leave it all behind. It doesn't have to matter, any of it."

Nyx chuckled, turning her face away, smiling, playing along. "Yeah, alright. Where'd we be going?"

He grinned, playing the game also.
"Anywhere you want. The world's yours to choose from."

Nyx mulled it over for a second, playing with her hair and turning back to him. "Maybe I like it here."

"That's difficult, Nyx. We can't stay like this."

"I know. That's not how it works." She said, sounding akin a petulant child. "But it's not fair."

"How so?"

"Because everyone expects things out there.
There's just certain things... Certain ways it's supposed to be. And here there's not.
And I know you said I can do whatever I want, and technically that's true, but realistically... In real life... It's just so much more difficult than that.
That's why I like it here. I can have everything and no one expects."

Was going to add more to this scene, was actually building up to  have Nyx get quite annoyed at him, but then I just ran out of words, and thought there wasn't much of a better place to stop it than where I did.

Please feel free to comment and give me feedback!