Where Time Stands Still

There was a metallic tang in Nyx's mouth and something was scratching at her neck, just enough to be thoroughly irritating.

Letting out a quiet groan, she opened her eyes a crack. Everything was bleary and unfocused, but as she blinked, it began to clear.

The place was a hoarders paradise. Some kind of circular wicker room or hut, the walls and ceiling of the place were decorated with all kinds of ornaments; from hanging drapes to ornate boxes, feathered dreamcatchers, broken weapons, coloured glass and animal bones on string. An opening in the wall served as both doorway and window, sending a stream of pale light into the hut.

Nyx sat bolt upright. "Abby! Where's Abby?"

"Relax." Came Alysha's voice from besides her. Turning her head, Nyx saw her, perched on a wooden stool next to Nyx's borrowed straw mattress. "I borrowed your phone to call her Daddy to come pick her up. He thought I was you; I didn't correct him. I told him a friend was in trouble and I couldn't babysit, which was true."

"Oh. Thanks." Nyx breathed. "God, that must have been terrifying for her, me collapsing like that."

Alysha sniffed. "She's just a baby. They don't know their heads from their toes."

"Well, still. I was worried, at least."

"Want some orange juice?" Alysha asked, picking up a tumbler that had been sitting on the floor beside her. "We have quite a lot, so don't worry about it. It's Calder's new favourite."

Only half-listening, Nyx sat up and took the tumbler, draining the liquid greedily before just holding the empty cup in her hands, examining its marbled pattern. "What happened?"

"Newly developed powers, no self control; you burned yourself out. I didn't quite expect it to go this far, but what can I say- I guess you're a teensy bit more human than I am. But it only makes you adorable." Alysha reassured her. "Besides, I get to teach you how to do it properly now!"

"Teach me what?"

"Well, all our shared powers, really. But immediately, reading objects. It's really fun once you get the hang of it- terrifying when you don't."

"And that's... What's been happening, is it?" Nyx asked. "I've been 'reading objects'?"

"There's probably a better name for it." Alysha nodded. "But, we don't care to learn it, so it is what it is."

"And what is it?"

"It is being able to look back, to a memory of what has gone before. And it is bloody exhausting, not gonna lie."

"So what, its... Looking into the past?"

"No, not the past. A memory of the past."

Nyx crinkled her nose. "Is there a difference?"

"Restrictions." Alysha shrugged. "You can't see anything you want. Just something that item experienced. See, everything has memories attached to it; it happens all the time every day.  What you've been doing is just dipping in and out at random, and most powerful ones are coming to the surface.
Technically, you can do it to people too, but that's different, and takes a lot more work on your part. People are a lot more stubborn than objects."

"Well, how do I stop that?"

Alysha grinned. "You control it, through practice. Same with everything else. And there's only one way to do that- do it lots until you find what works. And luckily for you, you have the help of someone who knows what they're doing!"

Nyx resisted the urge to make a snarky comment at that, instead choosing to take the weight off of her forearms to relax back on the bed. Peering up at the ceiling, she furrowed her brow. "Where even are we?"

"Ooh!" Alysha said, eyes lighting up like she'd just remembered something. "This is awesome, you'll like this."

Reaching out, she grabbed Nyx's hand, tugging her up onto her feet and towing her towards the door and out.

It was a hut; a roundhouse of sorts, mud and wood and plant life pressed together to make walls. A few more huts lay scattered around, as if this were the beginning of a settlement or a segment cut out of a much larger village. An expanse of green grass spread out wide in all directions; before cutting off abruptly into grey fog that stretched high on all sides.

"I saved the land from drowning. Sentimental attachment." Alysha said, pointing up.

Looking up, Nyx saw the blue sky ripple, pale light pouring in dappled all over the scene below. "Is that... Water?"

"Makes a reflection, doesn't it?" Alysha chuckled. Then she frowned. "I've no idea where that is in the world now. Everyone just comes in sideways." She said, gesturing to the grey around them. "Anyway, it'll be a great, private place to teach you."

Then she broke into a wide smile. "But that's not the best part." Raising her fingers to her mouth, she gave a shrill whistle. "Calder! Where have you gone?"

"Alysha!" A loud, booming voice greeted. From another hut nearby, a gigantic man appeared; barrel-chested with arms like tree trunks, with a full beard and luscious head of hair, braided up out of the way behind his head.

"Hey, I know him!" Nyx blurted out. Then thought about it when both he and Alysha gave her questioning looks. "I mean... I saw him. In one of the visions... Memories, whatever. It was the hair ornaments you gave me." She explained.

"Oh, yeah." Alysha chuckled. "Ooh, I'm so glad you liked my present! Truly! I'll show you how to use them somepoint... But first, this! Calder, meet my sister. She chooses to go by Nyx. Nyx, this is Calder."

Nyx gave a tentative wave. Calder bowed his head respectfully. "Alysha's sister is more than welcome in my village."

"My village." Alysha automatically corrected.

"The village my lady has generously gifted me." Calder said smoothly.

"Flatterer." Alysha playfully accused, before throwing her arms around him and kissing him unabashedly. Nyx shuffled her feet awkwardly, adverting her eyes.

Finally, the couple broke apart. "Now go, back to making me pretty things!" Alysha commanded, grinning all the while.

"Isn't he pretty?" Alysha giggled as the giant man walked away, heading back into one of his huts.

"Uhh... I guess, if that's the word you want to apply. Why's he here?"

"As you can see, I am a collector of beautiful things; and he did want to be immortal. Well, be careful what you wish for." Alysha smirked. "This was the best place I could think of to put him in time out. Time sort of stands still here; it's like we're too out of the way for it to bother."

Nyx thought the statement over, something niggling in her mind. "He's immortal... Time stands still... How old is he?"

"Oh, quite a few centuries now." Alysha chuckled. "He came from a tribe long ago. Collectively, you say his people were the Vikings."

"Oh, wow." Nyx said in surprise. "You were right, that's... Kind of impressive, in a way."

It was impressive, and surreal. She'd met immortals, but this was a man out of time completely.

The idea both piqued her curiosity, and sent a chill down her spine.

"Come on." Alysha took her hand once more. "Let's go practice."

Hi, I just wanted to put a quick note here to say, I've recently started college and so my timetable is a bit different, so there is a chance my uploads won't always be out on time or may even end up moving to an easier day. Don't worry, I still intend to update at least once a week. We'll see how it goes, and I'll keep you informed. XD

Also, the music up top is by one of my favourite artists, Lindsey Stirling. Check her out!