Finding

Evelyn had gotten the phone call yesterday, and hadn't a clue what to make of it.

After Maddie's sudden and mysterious disappearance, after all the puzzling over how she'd managed to split herself into two bodies, she was in hospital, awake and back in her own, singular body.

Which whilst was good from Maddie and her families perspective, was somewhat frustrating from Evelyn's, as now she had very little ability now to examine these reflection duplicates and work out exactly how it worked.

Although, learning how to reverse it could be very useful. Assuming Maddie knew how it had happened.

Well, at least she was safe. Evelyn had been imaging a million different, mostly somewhat more gruesome, scenarios for what had happened.

A lot seemed to have happened recently. One thing after another, like a domino effect, spiralling out of control.
So much to think about, so much to worry about, so much to sort out, Evelyn wondered if it wasn't going to drive her to an early grave.

Actually, that seemed a bit too plausible at the current second, considering everything.

Sweeping her hair up onto her head and pinning it in place hurriedly, she strode to the door, taking down her coat of a hook on the back and swishing it over her shoulders, buttoning it with nimble fingers and reaching for her bag as she swept out of the door.

A trip to the hospital was in order.

And hour or so later she had her answers and was racing to the mansion, barely remembering the requirement of stealth and secrecy.

After by some fluke she managed to sneak into her laboratory without being caught, she strode quickly towards the room where Alysha was kept, resisting the urge to run.

Her suspicions were proved all to correct when she entered the office room, and spied the secret door hanging open by a crack.

A quick check of the room revealed that the magnet key had gone, been taken, probably by whoever had let her out.

Evelyn wondered what poor soul Alysha had convinced into doing so.

Honestly, Evelyn blamed the fact that she couldn't find an effective way to completely dampen Alysha's powers. She'd seen what she could do, even whilst being restrained with the runed ties. It had almost been idiotic not to expect this to happen, sooner or later.

Peering into the darkened room, the light from the office highlighted the lack of living occupant.

As she took a step forwards into the room, something crackled under her foot.

Picking it up, she noticed it was a paper food wrapper, with something scribbled on it in biro.

Thinking it might be important, she flattened it out and read:

Gone out. Don't wait up.
A.

The smiley face scrawled in the corner of the note seemed to be laughing at her.

Screwing it up angrily, Evelyn hurled it into the nearby wastepaper basket.