Conversational Wizard [10]

A hour drive it had been from that whole intense mission, and so far for the entire ride the two had still remained not speaking to one another. Perhaps it was just the fact that they were still trying to recover from the fact they could have almost died today. Well, at least Frisk was anyway. But once again, Sans appeared to be pulling the car to a stop, as the windscreen had been smashed to little pieces from that whole ordeal, so it had to be replaced. "wait here." Sans told Frisk, before climbing out to go and speak to a man who had stepped out of the garage they had pulled up at. From what Frisk could see and hear from where she was seated inside the car, Sans must have been a regular or old time customer, because they greeted each other as if they had known each other forever. Well, they didn't seem totally friendly with each other but... Still.

Frisk sat for awhile, just listening to Sans fuming about how much it was going to cost to get the windscreen replaced. "what? i ain't payin' that!" Was something Frisk heard Sans exclaim in frustration, before the man had replied with "Well you either pay it, or kiss your fucking new windscreen goodbye." and a couple more things were thrown back and forth before Sans begrudgingly gave in and seemed to hand over the money. "Glad you could see it my way. I'll have your windscreen replaced in a couple of hours." They told him.

With that said, Sans turned back towards the car, rolling his eyes and mocking the man who was no longer paying attention to him. Using a hand motion, Sans signalled for Frisk to climb out of the car, which she simply obeyed when told to do so. "What are we going to do for the next couple of hours?" 

"i dunno..." Sans sighed, appearing to be in thought for a moment, before he glanced to Frisk with his two white pupils. "ya feelin' hungry?" He wondered. With a nod, he continued. "good. there's a place we can eat literally just down the street. we'll kill time there." He said. 

****

Finding a comfortable place to sit, the skeleton and the human decided to sit at a table in the corner of the room, seeming away from everyone else. Thankfully where they were eating wasn't too busy today. Already Sans had ordered their food at the counter when they came in, so they were now just awaiting to eat. It was now that the pair had seemed to finally calm down from that whole thing from earlier, but it was clear it was still on their mind. "Sans?" Frisk spoke, once again deciding to break the silence that had befallen them. He answered with a small "hm?" and with that being an invitation to keep talking, Frisk continued. 

"When your gun jammed in that building..." Frisk made sure to keep her voice quiet, so no one could listen in (even though no one likely was with them being sat in the corner). "How come you didn't just use your magic?" Frisk wondered. Sans rose his eyebrows a little, before he sighed. 

"because durin' missions, i try to refrain from doin' so. usin' magic for me just exhausts me more than it would if i just used normal weapons." Sans shrugged with a frown. Well, there was more to it than that. But Sans wasn't really sure if he wanted to ramble about the whole story of why his magic was so taxing to him. In a nutshell, "my soul is kinda damaged, i guess..." he admitted, but he didn't say much more than that. It was a story he wasn't too happy about getting into. It was probably one of those things he was genuinely hesitant talking about. It wasn't a fun story to tell. 

"Oh." Frisk simply answered. She could tell by his tone it was something he might not have enjoyed talking about, almost like a sixth sense, so she dropped the subject completely, wanting to move onto something else for his benefit. Sans must have noticed this by his slightly surprised expression, but Frisk took no notice of it. "So... What made you want to... Join the Mafia then?" She wondered, hoping this was a harmless subject.

"ya know, ya don't have to make small talk with me just to fill the silence." Sans answered, as he was resting his chin in his open palm. Hearing that, Frisk firmly decided to keep her mouth shut, feeling perhaps he really didn't want to talk. It wasn't long after that moment that their food was brought to them, and they both began to eat. "i joined when i was 17." He admitted. Frisk was surprised to hear that he had been younger than she was, now he was 20, so he would have been part of the group for... Woah, 3 years. 

"Wow. What was it like when you first joined? Were you as useless as me?" Frisk joked. 

"actually, kinda." Sans replied, managing a small grin. Honestly, she was surprised by his answer, just because with the way he seemed now, it was hard to imagine him as someone who was a nervous wreck like she was when it came to going on missions. She couldn't even hold a gun without her hands shaking out of control. "but i... well, originally i joined for a family reason. partly my dad wanted me to be close i guess and... well, i had a little brother who i suppose i wanted to help make money for to look after him. my family weren't exactly rich so... ya know, even if it meant gettin' your hands dirty, we had to make money somehow just to live." Sans rambled on. To him, it was like Frisk was some kind of conversational wizard. She could say a couple of words, and before he knew it he'd be rambling on about himself. And it was only around her that he seemed to do this, no one else he could even get this far into a conversation with. He didn't know why or what it was, maybe she just had a trusting face...? He wasn't sure. 

"I see... Yeah, living with hardly nothing is hard. I'd know." She sheepishly smiled. But at least it made more sense now as to why Sans had begun being part of such a group. Though, she couldn't help but take note of the word "had" when Sans had mentioned his brother. What did he mean by that? Was he someone who Sans just never spoke to anymore, or was it another person who had been instantly stolen from his life out of nowhere, swallowed up by the cruelty of life. If they were this far into the conversation, she felt she might as well ask, and so she did, not expecting an answer. To her shock, he gave her one.

"we just don't see each other anymore. matter of fact, i think he might think i'm dead." Sans guiltily admitted. "it's just... i kinda just disappeared on him one day. and whenever i see him around, i just try to avoid him.

"What?" Frisk questioned in shock, finding that terrible. He had a little brother, a family member who he was likely so lucky to have. And instead of spending time with him and being a big brother to him like he might have used to have been, he just abandoned him. "That's terrible! Why would you just let him think that and not talk to him!? You said you joined the group for him, yet you left him, that makes no sense." Frisk pointed out his faulty logic, until the skeleton growled in return, saying something that really, really surprised her.

"it's because he's part of the fuckin' CIA." Sans pointed out, saying that as if it had been the most obvious thing in the world. 

At least more things about this skeleton was starting to make sense.