Five Minutes [43]

Back to work. How delightful - and that wasn't sarcasm one little bit, because Sans was genuinely glad he got to go back to work, just so he had something to occupy himself with. It was as if during the time he had been off he didn't realise how little he had to do. He had spoken to Frisk on and off, he had been trying to spend time with his father who had been busy now and again, attending to other people in the Mafia who had gone on missions and gotten themselves injured. Sans was just glad to be back.

There was just something that was weird to Sans. Even after he apologised to Frisk the other week, she hadn't been coming back much. Matter of fact, there were multiple times for the past week where Asgore has assigned something to Sans, and Frisk, if she was actually going to turn up. Considering Asgore thought the two made a good team. However, seeing as Frisk had the failure to show up, and instead was hanging out with her new friend, Sans was stuck doing a lot of these things alone. Before he wouldn't have minded. Normally, he was used to doing his job alone. He was qualified for it. 

For some reason... It soured his mood some, the fact that Frisk didn't seem to want to help him anymore, in anything. She had helped save his dad - which he was grateful for, and she had saved his life... But now it was as if she had just forgotten about all of that and she was just forgetting about him too. Yeah, yeah, he knew thinking that was likely hypocritical of him. One minute his mind decided he wanted to get rid of her, wanting nothing to do with her, avoiding her as if she had the plague itself. Then there were other times when having her around wasn't so bad. 

Those times where it wasn't so bad, he missed that. Even though it seemed like they were good after the whole argument they had, somehow it felt like they weren't. That things were still strange, uncomfortable. Maybe it just wasn't possible to remain as "friends" after having damage done like that. Thinking that... It brought him down so much. Why did it bother him that bad? 

He probably just became too accustomed to having her around, that's all. Change was always weird, whether it was for better or for worst. He was likely trying to get used to doing things alone again, that's all it was. When he started to think that and make himself believe it, he began to become more relaxed. Well, for awhile anyway. 

"frisk." Sans had his phone placed to his skull, as they were on a phone call. "ya haven't really been doin' many things with the Mafia for awhile... are ya comin' in?" Sans wondered. 

"Oh, sorry, Sans! I can't." She always simply answered. "I'm spending time with Andrew today! But I'll try my best to help another time, okay?" She said. 

That's all she ever tended to say lately. For one week. Then two weeks. Then three, until it became a month. It was frustrating. Which he didn't get: shouldn't he have just been happy that she was no longer involved with him?! Wasn't that what he had wanted? He had been certain it was what he wanted. Yet it was as if his thoughts were just trying to make him doubt himself. Like he couldn't even trust himself anymore. 

The skeleton found himself walking down the street - after having done one of his missions. Again. By himself. He exhaled, frowning when he thought about the fact that Frisk kept seeming to pick the choice of spending time with Andrew more than she wanted to help him - when the things he did was like a matter of life or death. Andrew was just some guy that she had ran into one day, who had a dangerous family, and just like that she trusted him. If Sans didn't know better, he'd say it was only a matter of time before those two started dating. They were practically becoming like your pathetic annoying cliche teenage lovebirds.

Dammit... Just shut up. Shut up, shut up, shut u--. His train of thoughts were suddenly stopped, when Sans found himself bumping into someone on the sidewalk. He hadn't been paying much attention to his surroundings, or the people around him, as he had just been glaring down at the ground with every step he took, thinking about how pissed off he was about his whole situation. "god dammit, watch where you're fuckin' goin'!" Sans snapped - even though it was totally his fault too. But he wasn't going to admit that.

However, what came next he couldn't believe. As he glanced up towards whoever in the world he bumped into, his eyes widened in a mix of both fear and shock. He just swore at... It was... "p-papyrus." Sans stammered, stepping back from his brother, who looked just as surprised as he had. The taller skeleton still hadn't gotten used to Sans being alive, considering he had only seen him once when he  found out the truth - in those sewers. 

"S-SANS..." Papyrus answered back in response. The shorter skeleton slowly shook his head, wanting to step back and make a run for it. What if Papyrus was just going to arrest him right here and right now on the sidewalk? He wouldn't allow that. He wouldn't let it happen. Papyrus took a step towards him, hoping to talk, only for his face to falter in a look of sadness and concern when Sans backed away from him. "SANS... WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY?"

"why are ya followin' me. heh. ya don't know me. i ain't your brother anymore, papyrus. sans died a long time ago." Metaphorically speaking. He wasn't the same brother that Papyrus had come to love when they were children. He had become altered and fractured, and now he was nothing but a big bone pile of mess and misery. Papyrus didn't need that. 

"PLEASE, DON'T SAY THAT SANS. JUST LET ME TALK TO YOU, I BEG OF YOU." Papyrus pleaded with his older brother, who narrowed his eyes at him in caution.

"why? so ya can get ya buddies who are probably watchin' this from somewhere to arrest me? ya know what i do now so... it would be your job to put me behind bars, right?" He growled at the taller skeleton. 

"LOOK... JUST GIVE ME FIVE MINUTES. I'M NOT GOING TO ARREST YOU, SANS. I'M JUST HERE TO TALK... THAT'S ALL." Papyrus spoke as calmly as he could manage. "MAYBE WE COULD SIT IN A CAFE AND TALK THERE? QUIETLY?" He offered. Sans thought for a moment. Would Papyrus really be willing to make a scene in a public place if he had the chance? Maybe, maybe not... But something in the back of his mind was telling him to trust his little brother. That he would regret it if he pushed him back. 

"...fine. ya got five minutes.