Positive Impact [33]

"Ugh, I feel like death." That had to be one of the first things Gaster had chuckled out, as he had began waking up within the comfortable bed that he had been resting in. Already, a couple more hours had passed since Frisk had been sobbing in her goat mom's arms. Sans still hadn't woken up, but Grillby - who had come in to visit the pair, had been pretty relieved to see that Gaster seemed like he was doing okay, all thanks to Toriel. 

"Well, be glad you're still alive. I can't believe what those people must have done to you. You looked so damn hurt, it must have been traumatising." Grillby frowned, as he was sitting at his bedside. Frisk was still near Sans' side, but she was watching and nodding along to the conversation that was happening between the two close friends. Grillby had clearly been concerned for Gaster; it made Frisk smile somewhat to see that Grillby looked more upbeat to know that Gaster was actually back - that he was alive.

"Yeah... It was pretty rough." Gaster murmured, his tone of voice having a negative feel to it, making it clear that being there had probably been one of the worst moments of his life. He had almost been so certain that he was going to die there. That no one was going to save him. Not that he had expected anyone to. "What you guys did was dangerous. I'm grateful that you... Came to save me but... Now I'm starting to wonder if it was even worth it." The father spoke, glancing towards his unconscious son. Both Grillby and Frisk fell silent at that.

They couldn't deny that the whole thing had been such a bother. That it took so much out of them to save his life. Frisk was still shaken up from the whole ordeal; she was trying to stop herself from thinking about it, trying to stop herself from thinking about what she did. It didn't help that Toriel knew about it. What if she would look at Frisk differently now because of what she had done? She wasn't an innocent 19 year old anymore. She had committed murder, with the possibility of doing it again. Sans had become someone who went from being nice to being someone who treated killing like it was just a normal thing for them. Is that what she would become as well?

"Yes, it was dangerous." Grillby said, snapping Frisk out of her thoughts, and even causing Gaster to look back in his direction. The flame monster thought for a moment, readjusting his glasses. "However, I know that if we never tried to save you, if we never knew you were alive or dead, we would have forever been wondering what in the world happened to you, and what we could have possibly done to have gotten you back. I would have never forgiven myself if I just left my best friend to rot in a cell somewhere." Grillby murmured. "Besides, Sans was pretty passionate about wanting to rescue you. It was all he ever seemed to think about..." 

"It's true." Frisk decided to speak up to the skeleton man. "He appeared to really miss you. I know saving you seemed to make him happy. Even when he was hurting back there... It looked like to me that he was glad he got you out of there." Frisk quietly said. Gaster blinked for a second, until he spoke.

"Ah, I don't think I've ever met you before..." Gaster decided to point out, which did cause Frisk to nod a little.

"She's been an added member to the group after you disappeared." Grillby explained for her. "Sans and Asriel found her one day, on a mission. Since then, she's just been spending time with Sans and been getting to know all of us." The flame monster added. 

"I see... Did you used to live a normal life before being part of this group, uh..."

"It's Frisk." Frisk told him, knowing he wouldn't likely know her name, seeing as this was the first time they were really ever talking. It was interesting to get to talk to Sans' and Papyrus' father. Gaster, so far from the way he talked, it reminded her somewhat of Sans. She wondered what Papyrus was like then, whether he was similar too, or had an entirely different personality. But she felt happy to finally be meeting Sans' dad who the skeleton had so badly wanted to save.

"And not really... Things weren't exactly... Pleasant for me before Sans and Asriel found me. I was living on the streets." She admitted. Like she had explained to Toriel, being in the Mafia had given her things that she used to no longer have. Friends, family, food, clothes, clean water to have showers with, a roof to live under and all that stuff. It had given her many positives. But at the same time, it terrified her, the things she had to see and go through. She didn't really know which life she would rather have if she was honest. But then with how attached she had become to Sans, she knew she would want to remain around him.

"Well, it is nice to meet you, Frisk. I'm sorry to hear how things were for you beforehand. And I apologise for the kinds of things you might have had to witness being in the Mafia too. It's not always the most positive place." Gaster said. How could it be that when your job seemed to mostly consist of murder. But then there was also the people that were part of this group that made it a better place to be. Not everyone was out to get each other - you had a few bad apples here and there that might have needed dealing with. Other than that, they were kind of like a family. That was the nice part of it all. 

Slowly, Frisk nodded. To tell the truth, she wanted to ask Gaster so many questions. Mostly about Papyrus. Then again, she wondered whether or not that would be counted as her being rude. Gaster had been through enough already and needed to rest, the last thing he needed was to be bombarded by her being nose-y. However, Gaster already seemed to noticed the quizzed expression placed upon her face, because once again he spoke. "You look curious, Frisk."

"O-Oh, right." Frisk stammered in surprise, as to tell the truth she had been spacing out while she was thinking about asking a question. She had been looking towards Andrew who was still sleeping. He had been stirring somewhat; other than that he hadn't really woken up. He likely had a lot of sleep to catch up on now that he was actually in a cosy bed, rather than lying in a prison cell. "I just... I wanted to ask about..." Frisk glanced towards Grillby. She wasn't entirely sure if everyone was aware about Sans' brother being in the CIA, and the last thing she wanted to do was talk about it when Sans didn't want her to and anger him.

Catching the hint, Grillby decided to pick himself out of his seat. "Well, I guess I better get back to work behind the bar. Take care of yourself okay, Gaster?" Grillby said, causing the skeleton to nod and smile. "And feel free to get someone to get me if you want anything." Grillby shrugged. Then, he waved, turned on his heel and like that, he was gone. Gaster had watched him leave, before glancing towards the silent Frisk.

"Now, what is it you wanted to ask?" 

"It's about Papyrus." Frisk admitted. A surprised expression appeared on Gaster's skull, considering he wouldn't expect Frisk to know about him. "We had seen him in the sewers when we were escaping... He's part of the CIA, and Sans seems to try his hardest to avoid him." Frisk looked to the younger unconscious skeleton, until she looked at Gaster again. "How come he never became part of the Mafia? Was that a decision on your part?" 

"Well... I never really knew if I was going to tell Papyrus about the Mafia. Truth is, I was taken by that group before I really even got the chance to properly think about it." Gaster spoke. "If I was ever going to have him involved, I'd never get him to do missions - like what Sans does. I never expected Sans to be involved as he is now, but..." Gaster looked to his son again, causing Frisk to follow his gaze. "I think Sans was just scared of telling him himself after I was gone. What we do isn't nice, and I don't think Papyrus would have agreed with it. He has the kind of personality that thinks there can always be a better way to everything. That might be why he joined the CIA, because he wants to make a more positive impact... At least, that's what I think." 

"Oh..." Frisk simply replied. So, Papyrus only didn't know about the Mafia and about his own family being part of it because he was never told about it. It was nice to hear that Sans sounded like he had such a sweet little brother. But surely if he had such a positive personality, he would have maybe tried to accept Sans for who he was now. That he was still his brother, and he wouldn't hate him. 

But then she wouldn't really know.