Favoured [98]

Every time, waking up in the morning, it was difficult not to always expect the worst to happen these days. The younger brother out of the two skeletons normally had a more positive, bouncy view on his life, enjoying the days that went by; he loved his job and he felt lucky that he had the life that he had. But lately... It was like he was being somewhat of a cynic; he didn't like that about himself. If he wasn't able to keep upbeat at work, his friend Undyne would start to doubt him. Matter of fact he was starting to get the feeling she already was. 

It started when he came into work, looking (and feeling) somewhat tired. He hadn't slept well that night, stressing himself out of sleep with the fear that something would go horribly. While it was up to Sans to keep himself and Frisk safe, it was also his own responsibility to make sure Undyne didn't find something that gave her definite pointers towards what kind of person Sans really was, what kind of things he did. When Undyne saw him, she rose an eyebrow, instantly making feel Papyrus on edge when they came into contact with one another.

"Papyrus, you look exhausted. Are you alright?" Undyne decided to ask. A tiny part of Papyrus felt like that was a ridiculous question, considering the way she had been slightly bossing him around to always remain at her side while she was investigating Sans. Even if he didn't know anything at all, how did she expect him to stay sane when they were investigating his brother? Sighing and flashing Undyne a smile, he answered.

"YES, I'M FINE. I JUST DIDN'T SLEEP WELL LAST NIGHT, THAT IS ALL." 

"Oh. Why? Is there something on your mind?" Undyne questioned further. "Something you might want to talk about?" The fish went on to press. It was from that moment that Papyrus knew Undyne must have been suspicious of him. Just because he was Sans' little brother. It hurt, considering he and Undyne had been friends for a long time, (even though at the same time she was right to doubt him, considering he was a liar at the moment.) But it wasn't like she knew that. 

"NO, UNDYNE..." Papyrus muttered, finding it difficult to keep the annoyance out of his own voice. A strange look flickered across the fish's face, as her eye narrowed a tiny bit at his response. As he was just passing by, Mettaton noticed the tension between the two monsters. It was pretty strange to actually see the two somewhat glaring at each other. Even Papyrus; normally you saw him smiling, he always appeared so happy. But for once... He looked on edge. 

"Now come on now, darlings, you're both beautiful." Mettaton joked, interrupting the conversation the two had been happening with a flashing smile, and the fact that he had decided to place an arm across Papyrus' shoulders, while the other hand rested on his own hip as he stared back towards Undyne. "Are you two fighting? Without me?" The robot continued to tease, causing Undyne to cross her arms. 

"We were having a serious conversation, that's all." Undyne explained. 

"Well, perhaps you can end the conversation. You've been hogging Papyrus for the past couple of days. Maybe let  someone else spend time with him for a change." Mettaton pouted at his boss, who rolled her eye and scoffed, probably finding what Mettaton was saying was ridiculous, considering the robot was so clearly flirting with the skeleton. Being done with the conversation, Undyne decided to head back to the surveillance cameras, which Alphys was also watching. Relived that Undyne was no longer glaring at him, Papyrus let out a small sigh of relief.

"What was that all about? It really isn't like you two to fight." Mettaton lightly tapped Papyrus on the cheekbone, causing the skeleton to weakly smile, while also blush a light shade of orange in the process. The  tall skeleton was extremely concerned that his and Undyne's friendship was slowly starting to crumble. He felt like she was losing trust in him. Was it because he was a bad liar, and she knew something was up? Or was it just her suspicions that were pushing her forward into fighting with him?