Another Promise [15]

"what were ya doin' askin' him for his number anyway? ya know ya don't have a phone. ya weren't expectin' to use mine, were ya?" Sans questioned, as he was watching Frisk, sitting down upon the floor as she was doing sit ups - it was good to make sure that she was physically prepared for anything that might happen, as well as being well trained in how to handle a gun. He just hoped he'd able to coax her into pulling the trigger somehow. 

"Well... Maybe." Frisk frowned just as she was pulling herself up into a sitting position once more. The skeleton laughed in disbelief, before shaking his head, giving her a look that said "are you serious?" 

"seriously? ya think i'd just happily hand over my phone so ya could have cutesy conversations with your new sudden boyfriend?" Sans mocked. Frisk growled in frustration.

"He's not my boyfriend! He's just someone who I wanted to be friends with, you were likely spying on me the whole time so you probably heard the conversation. You don't need to keep mocking me." Frisk grumbled, before going to stand up after having done what felt like a million push ups. Especially with how she could now feel the muscles all around her stomach felt like they were burning from exercise. 

"well, even so, i can't just give ya my phone. i don't have one that i use for people outside of work, and the last thing i want is some random guy havin' my number. get your own phone, frisk.

If she had the money for it, maybe that would be a good idea! But again, Sans seemed to be the one who held onto the money that they might have earned from doing jobs and missions. It was like he was a bossy parent who made up the rules and she was a little kid who couldn't do squat about the whole situation. Almost hard to believe it was, the fact that he wasn't even that much older than her - seeing as he was only 20 after all.

After a ton of exercise, Frisk was already feeling pretty exhausted, being worked down to the bone. She knew that it wouldn't be over yet though. The skeleton still wanted her to get better at handling a gun. A gun was like one of her worst fears. The idea of just seeing it pummel through someone's flesh. The idea of blood cascading everywhere from a single shot... Just thinking that alone made her want to shake. 

Already when putting a gun in her hands, Sans could already notice her nervousness. "oi, kid." Sans clicked his fingers in front of her face to get her to pay attention to him. It seemed to work as her eyes followed towards his two white pupils. "ya can relax. ya see this, what you're wearin'..." Sans seemed to pat his hand against the protective gear that they had both decided to wear on their torsos. They also had it over their arms - though she didn't see what this was supposed to do against a bullet, until Sans dispelled her worries some. "it's only an airsoft gun, 'k? that's why we're wearin' shit to protect ourselves, so it'll hurt a lot less.

"Are you expecting me to shoot at you?" Frisk wondered with worry, only to feel more terrified when Sans nodded. True, it wasn't a real gun that was sitting in her hands right now, but she still felt like the man was insane. Even if it wasn't lethal. 

"i have one too." He said, showing her the airsoft pistol in his hand. "and the reason for doin' this is i think you're better off tryin' to practise with an actual target. seein' as ya can only do so much with movin' targets. just try to refrain from aimin' for my head for now." Sans joked with a small grin. Frisk was still uncertain.

"Sans... I'm not sure I can do this." 

"ya said ya want to help find gaster. if ya don't get this, then comin' on the mission, ya won't do a very good job at defending yourself." Sans pointed out. "now, c'mon." Sans motioned for her to turn around, before doing the same so they were now back to back. They were going to try and do a draw a couple of times, just to see how quick Frisk could pull the trigger. On missions, you could never know when someone might sneak up on you. So, doing this was necessary. 

With each step that Frisk took forward, she felt like she wanted to scream. This wasn't a real thing, she had to keep reminding herself. She wouldn't die, and neither would Sans if she shot at him. But for some reason, she still felt tense and stiff as she took each step. It got to the point that she was so lost in her thoughts that she had forgotten to turn around, and she could feel something hitting her in the back which caused her to gasp in shock.

"and you're dead." Sans sighed with a frown when he saw Frisk turn around in surprise, seeing as he had already shot at her. "i said turn around, what were ya doin'?"

"Sorry I... I..." 

"whatever. let's just try again.

And that is exactly what they did. Over and over again the skeleton drew guns with Frisk, and each and every time Frisk would fail to pull the trigger on him. Sometimes it would seem like she'd come close to doing it, but she was never quick enough, and he always got the first shot on her. She really was some damn hard work. Practically a lost cause, she was. Giving up on her wasn't exactly an option though, was it? Even if he told her to stay away, she'd probably insist on coming anyway. 

"i think that's enough for now." Sans frowned, going to hold out a hand to pull Frisk up from the floor as she had somehow managed to fall over on the last time they had tried doing a draw. She looked embarrassed, before going to grab his hand and pull herself up. "you're really still sure ya wanna help with this whole thing? because frisk, i'm really not gonna lie to ya... ya are good at the physical work, runnin' away or dodgin' things might not really be a problem for ya. maybe." He said. "but i can't spend the whole time lookin' out for ya. and with it bein' that way, there's there possibility that ya might get yourself killed. are ya really feelin' up to it when i can't protect ya the whole time?

"...I am." Frisk nodded. "I said I would, didn't I? No, I promise that I'll help." Frisk said with certainty. "Even if it kills me, I want to help you." 

"why?

Why...? She wasn't really sure herself. This whole situation had started before she had even shown up into their lives. It wasn't really anything to do with her. But then she saw how much it damaged people; how Grillby seemed so upset, Sans definitely seemed affected, and the Mafia was missing someone who must have been a big deal to everyone. Maybe even to Toriel and Asgore. While being on the street, she hadn't done much good with her life. Especially not for others. She had thought about herself and only herself; of the situation she was in. For once, she wanted to be helpful. Not a fuck up. Not someone that everyone looked down upon and thought she was an idiot. She had wanted to prove herself to Sans, she could still do that. She could gain his friendship this way. Why she so badly wanted to when he wouldn't offer it to her, she didn't know. If he wouldn't make the first step, somehow she would.

"I know I just want to. And that's a promise."