Arrow ~ Irreconcilable Differences ~ Part One

And here come the midseason finales! I hope everyone enjoyed "Nothing I Wouldn't Do Without You" - if you haven't read that yet, I'd go do that, because that covers all of "Crisis on Earth-X," and it's pretty important to read.

So, Star City celebrates its mayor's engagement, but the night is ruined by a bombshell concerning Oliver's case.

Enjoy part one!

***

Oliver expected a wedding to be the biggest party he would ever see Star City throw for him, but that wouldn't be until he actually married Kara.

But, looking around the venue decorated to celebrate his and Kara's engagement . . . he was almost dreading how overly extravagant the wedding was going to be. "I'm engaged, not married," he grumbled for the umpteenth time.

"They're trying to get on your good side," James chuckled as he, Oliver, and Winn made their way through the venue. "Probably thought doing all this was going to do that."

"The only way they'll get on my good side is if I see someone who looks sympathetic and says 'congratulations' and nothing else."

"That's a pretty good idea," Winn nodded.

"There's Thea and William," James pointed.

"Oh," Oliver smiled, walking over to where the duo was pushing through the crowd. "Hey, buddy!"

"Aunt Thea said I can have some champagne," William told him.

"I said a sip," Thea quickly corrected. "And only during the toast."

"Mom and Dad used to let us do that," Oliver chuckled. "That's just fine."

"Yeah, and we turned out all right," Thea smiled. "I think they would be pretty impressed with this party." She gestured to Oliver's suit. "And the man of the hour."

"Think so?" Oliver smiled.

"Yeah, of course," Thea nodded supportively. "And if they had met her, they would love the fiancée."

"I hope so," Oliver smiled wistfully.

"Where is Kara?" William looked around.

"Oh, she kicked us here ahead of time," Winn answered.

"No, that was Alex and Eliza," James corrected. "Kara looked a few seconds away from saying 'help me.'"

"That already happened," J'onn said dryly as he and Lena walked up.

"You guys got kicked out, too?" Winn blinked.

"I did," J'onn rolled his eyes. "Lena lasted slightly longer."

"I think I did just because I helped pay for all our outfits," Lena smiled fondly.

"Looking good, though," Thea smiled, looking over Lena's one-sleeve blue dress and the tuxes worn by the men.

"Yeah, thanks again," James added.

"No problem," Lena smiled.

"Hey, you!" Dig called, grinning as he and Felicity made their way over.

"Hey," Oliver smiled.

"Lyla apologizes for not being able to make it," Dig told him.

"A.R.G.U.S. missions do not stop for engagement parties," Oliver shook his head, understanding.

"Well, she was hoping that they would for this one," Dig smiled, reaching out. "Congrats, man."

"Thanks," Oliver hugged his friend tightly.