Arrow ~ Doppelgänger ~ Part Three

Oliver has some advice for Thea, Laurel hears what Diaz has to say, and others arrive to crash the party. It all turns out OK in the end . . . doesn't it?

***

"I don't know, Felicity," Dig sighed later. "Maybe it's a little soon bringing up taking back the mantle from Oliver, but it's been months."

"A hell of a few months, though," Felicity pointed out. "And Oliver's just not ready to step down, not with everything that's going on. It's too much. It's crazy."

Dig nodded, taking her words in . . . not seeing Slade and Malcolm exchange glances from where they were listening from over by the weapons table. "He brought it up again?" Slade asked quietly, turning his back so it was to the two up by the computers.

"He did," Malcolm nodded, sharpening his sword. "While we were in the field, too, with Roy in the hotel opposite us."

"That's neither the time nor the place to do that," Slade scowled.

"Which is exactly why I diverted Oliver's attention to what was more important at the time," Malcolm nodded.

"Good move."

"Thanks," Malcolm sighed, setting his sword down and leaning against the table. "Would you believe there was a time when I honestly would have preferred if Oliver had stopped doing what he was doing?"

"Yes," Slade snorted. "When you were his archenemy."

"OK, point," Malcolm rolled his eyes. "But Slade – "

"I prefer Oliver with the hood, too, but in the end, it's his decision," Slade reminded him. "If Oliver decides to keep it, I'm standing behind him one hundred percent."

"But?" Malcolm prompted.

Slade sighed. "I do wonder what our roles would be if John took it back."

"That's what worries me," Malcolm nodded. "Because I still don't know if he entirely trusts us or not."

"I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't entirely," Slade shook his head. "But we'll cross that bridge if we come to it."

Malcolm sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why do I think that's going to become when we get to it?"

"Because you always jinx it, wizard," Slade smirked.

Malcolm shot him a glare. "Magician."

"There you are," Slade clapped him on the shoulder, chuckling and moving around the table. "Back to your normal self."

Malcolm sighed. "I'll feel more normal when we figure out where Laurel is."

***

"You know, Laurel," Diaz paced in front of her, hands clasped behind his back. "I think Cayden went about his plan for Star City the wrong way."

"What?" Laurel huffed. "You don't think destruction is a good way to break a city?"

"Oh, I don't want to break Star City," Diaz shook his head.

"No," Laurel sneered. "You just want to take it over. Anatoli told me."

"I told him to," Diaz shrugged.

"So you want to take Star City over," Laurel sighed, leaning back. "And what could I possibly offer you? Or what do you think I could offer you, because I'm still waiting for you to tell me why I should even consider this."

"It's quite simple, Laurel," he smiled chillingly. "Laurel Lance, back from the dead. A shining light, their former Black Canary. You were quite the beloved figure back in the day. I think you still are now. What an influence you could be."