Arrow ~ Doppelgänger ~ Part One

These next two episodes are when I can get more creative juices flowing, so hopefully everyone enjoys what I'm about to do!

Oliver's bad feeling turns out to be for a good reason, Team Arrow is worried for that good reason, and then they get even more worried for another good reason.

***

The breaking news of Cayden's death was still on the TV screen in Oliver's office as he worked on his laptop, checking in with city officials regarding the money they had recovered. He was still finding it difficult to believe that all seventy million was back in Star City, not a single penny missing. Good job, Evelyn, he thought to himself.

The door to his office opened, and he looked up, closing his laptop as Thea entered. "Ollie?" she asked.

"Yeah?" he asked, turning the news off.

"Jean here has some good news for you," Thea told him, walking in with his lawyer.

Oliver raised an eyebrow. Having so many good things happen this many times in a row was unusual. "I'm only used to good news if it's accompanied by bad news," he admitted, standing up to greet Jean.

"Well, this news is unequivocal, Oliver," Jean smirked. "I can get this case against you dismissed."

Oliver did a double take, staring at her in shock. "Uh," he stammered out, stunned. "Have – have a seat," he gestured, seeing Thea grin behind Jean. "Tell me more."

"I pored over the discovery documents produced by the district attorney," Jean explained as the three of them sat down. "Apparently, the FBI leveraged Rene Ramirez to testify against you based on surveillance that was leaked by a known criminal."

"Cayden James," Thea clarified.

"Fruit of the poisonous tree," Jean nodded along with Oliver. "It's a legal metaphor positing that if the source of the evidence is tainted, the evidence itself is tainted. Mr. James' actions were not only illegal, but his death makes it impossible to corroborate the evidence against Mr. Ramirez."

"So if there's no case against Rene, there's no case against me?" Oliver asked.

Jean nodded in confirmation. "We're going before Judge McGarvey on my motion to dismiss this afternoon."

Oliver swallowed hard. "Jean, are you sure? You – you can just make this go away?"

"Ollie, she's positive," Thea nodded, beaming happily. "I know you're not used to getting good news, but this is what it sounds like."

Oliver looked at Jean, trying to figure out what to say in response to Jean when Quentin walked in from the door connecting his office to Oliver's. "Mr. Mayor!" he said sharply. "We got an emergency at SCPD."

And there it is, Oliver thought with a sigh. "Like I said, it was accompanied by some bad news," he grumbled, then looked at Jean. "Jean, this is wonderful. I will see you at the courthouse this afternoon."

"OK," Jean smiled, heading for the door.

Oliver stood up from his desk, moving to Quentin, who looked like he was torn between being angry or worried. "What's up?" he asked.

"Laurel just walked into police headquarters," Quentin answered.

"What did she do that for?" Thea's eyes widened as Oliver did a double take.

"I doubt it was on her terms," Oliver pinched the bridge of his nose. Laurel had been perfectly content hiding in the shadows. Why would she do this? "Do you know anything else?"