Supergirl ~ The Fanatical ~ Part One

Everyone gets to work in National City, Kara and James meet Tanya, James takes on the fanatics with consequences for him, and Alex works to help Ruby.

Enjoy!

***

When they entered Lena's laboratory in L-Corp, Dinah took one look at the woman inside the containment unit and sighed sadly, closing her eyes. "Yeah . . . that's Sam."

"You didn't believe us?" Oliver raised an eyebrow.

"It's not that," Dinah shook her head. "It's just . . . seeing her here in person?"

"Seeing really is believing," Curtis swallowed.

Oliver conceded the point with a nod as Lena leaned in towards Kara. "So just like that, everything's good?" she whispered, eyeing Dinah, Curtis, and Rene in concern.

"Well, not 'just like that,'" Kara sighed. "We've got a while to go, but we're working on it."

Lena nodded in acceptance, then Dig cleared his throat from where he was looking at the camera showing Lena's microscope activity. "So . . . what is this?"

"It's what I've been working on, and why I unfortunately missed the trial," Lena said, giving Oliver an apologetic look.

"Lena, don't worry about it," Oliver shook his head before she could say an apology. "Sam is who you have needed to focus your time and energy on."

Lena sighed, but nodded. "This is a biolistic delivery system," she explained to the group in the lab: Oliver, Kara, Dig, Mon-El, Winn, Dinah, Curtis, and Rene. "It's usually used for overwriting genes in crops, but Reign's cells are closer to plant cells than you'd think."

"Because plants use sunlight for food, right?" Curtis asked.

"Yeah," Kara nodded. "It's part of how Kryptonians process sunlight."

"That's pretty cool," Rene admitted. "How does it work?"

"You take particles of heavy metal, coat them in DNA, deliver the payload, and then overwrite Reign's DNA with Sam's," Lena answered. Kara nodded, and Lena tapped the controls on her tablet. In the containment unit, the robotic arm holding the syringe approached Reign, then injected the needle into Reign's arm. "Plasmid inserted," Lena took a deep breath.

Curtis started when Reign's eyes flew open, then a robotic voice announced, "Payload rejected."

Lena hung her head in defeat. "I thought this would work," she seethed, fingers curling into fists angrily. "I just need the right vectors with the right metal!" She swallowed hard, trying to calm down. "I just need more time."

"Yes," Reign sneered coldly, making everyone look at her. "Give Lena more time. She doesn't have much left. Because when I'm free, I'm gonna rip out her spine. And when that's done, I'm gonna crack this planet in half, and you'll hear every scream – "

"OK," Lena tapped her tablet, blackening out the forcefield. "We don't need to hear that."

"Well," Curtis smiled nervously. "Just a bit more threatening than Diaz."

"You should've seen what happened when she first fought Kara," Dig said grimly.

Mon-El frowned, hearing Reign scream from behind the field. "What was that?"

"It's a refractive scatter-field," Lena answered. "She can't see us now."

Winn blinked in surprise. "Even with the X-ray vision?"

"Don't try it," Lena held up a hand to stop Kara as she turned to try it curiously. "The wavelength interference of the forcefield hurts any Kryptonian that looks at it, and the shock seems to keep her in check. I only created it because of Reign."