Arrow ~ Doppelgänger ~ Part Two

Someone stick a fork in me. I'm so done with this week like you wouldn't believe. It was so good just to sit down and write this out.

Team Arrow sets out to rescue Roy, Quentin and Dinah learn something disturbing from Oliver, and Laurel comes face to face with who has now become the team's big bad in Star City.

***

Laurel made no secret that she was not happy to be in her current situation as the police officer led her into an abandoned casino in Star City. When she was stopped in front of Anatoli Knyazev playing solitaire, she remained silent, giving him the nastiest look she could.

He just gave her an innocent look in response. "We got her from here," the man at his right told the officer. "Head back to SCPD before you're missed."

The police officer left, and Anatoli smiled at her. "Laurel! Svozvrashcheniyem." He paused, then tilted his head. "Is it Laurel or Laurel these days? So confusing, this doppelgänger business, but you seem to figure it out."

"I know Diaz killed Cayden James," Laurel told him bluntly.

"He told me," Anatoli shrugged. "No honor among thieves . . . or crime lords, I guess. Oh, well."

Laurel scowled, looking at the Russian Oliver had once considered a friend. "Diaz manipulated you and Talia and Evelyn. He lied to all of you. This whole time, he's had his own agenda. That doesn't bother you?"

"I'm not sentimental," Anatoli shook his head. "I am Russian. I am in this city for two reasons only. One is revenge against Oliver Queen, and two is money. I'm happy to work with whoever can get me either."

"Well, I see two things after you say that," Laurel smirked. "One, good luck getting money because we got it all back. And two? You're also only in this city because the Bratva cast you out."

Anatoli's look soured. "Well, there's that, too."

***

"How'd it go?" Kara asked as the trio exited the elevator.

"There is a fifteen-second window where neither roof guard is watching the HVAC vent," Oliver answered. "We can get in that way."

"All right," Thea nodded, taking a deep breath. "Well, did you see him? Is he OK?"

Oliver paused. "We can get him out," he answered instead.

"I know," Thea nodded. "And I'm coming with you."

Oliver blinked, then opened his mouth, but clicked it shut when Malcolm chuckled. "I'd've thought you were sick if you were about to say you weren't."

"Dad, it's Roy," Thea said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Exactly," Malcolm nodded.

Oliver sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I suppose it would be hypocritical of me to tell you not to do this?"

"Would you want us to tell you that if it was Kara who was in there?" Slade raised an eyebrow.

"Point taken," Oliver conceded.

"Besides, I may be the only one who can fit through the vents," Thea said, looking around. "Though it would be entertaining to see any of you try to."

"I'll give it a go," Kara volunteered.

"Kara," Oliver began.

"Don't ruin the reputation, I know, you've said it, but . . . " Kara took a deep breath. "Thea may need a hand getting Roy out. I don't need my hands free to get out of a place like that."