[Chapter Twenty-One]

"This is an impossible problem. These numbers do not go together to make that number." Elliot huffed, as he slammed his book shut and looked at me.

"El, you gotta use the formulas that Mr. Letter gives us. You can't just expect the answer to fall out of the sky and land on your paper." I spoke, as I took my notebook back and went onto the next problem. Elliot was going to graduate even without this class, but I don't want him failing a class and have that on his transcript.

"Nah, I'm done. I'm going to get something to eat. Want something? I could make grilled cheeses." He spoke, as he stood up and walked to the fridge. Cynthia and I both looked up at him, and he turned around slowly to meet our eyes.

"What?" He questioned, before Cynthia pointed at the clock on the stove.

"Elliot, it's only 10." She replied, and he huffed as he walked over and sank back down into the seat beside me.

"Alright, teach me this stupid math shit so I can eat." He groaned.

[*]

Cynthia, Elliot and myself went out to lunch, and when we were walking into the house, the landline was ringing like crazy. I quickly went running to it, and I sighed as I answered it.

"Cragen residence, Olivia speaking." I answered, and in the background I heard sirens. So many sirens.

"Liv... I need you and Cynthia to come to Mercy General, okay?" My dad whispered into the phone.

"Dad? What happened?" I asked, as I turned to look at Cynthia and Elliot, who were slipping their jackets back on.

"Your mother got hurt. Please just get there and quick." He spoke, before hanging up.

I felt my chest tighten, as I slowly put the phone back down. I turned around and looked at them again.

"What's wrong Liv?" Cynthia questioned, and I swallowed hard.

"Mom's in the hospital. Something happened to her." I whispered, before quickly grabbing my keys and running from the house.

[*]

I stood next to Cynthia as we watched our mother lay motionless in her hospital bed. My father was sitting next to her praying like crazy. None of us could anticipate that just a small patch of black ice could send her vehicle into traffic. We also didn't think that she may never wake up. The internal bleeding she has just didn't seem to want to be fixed, and after being here all night and now most of the day, she's been taken into surgery five times. Each time she lost more blood volume than the time before.

"They just adopted me. How are we going to move on if we lose her? What about Dad? He's been with her since they were 16. They are soulmates." My sister whispered, as she ran her hand over her cheek.

"I know, but we aren't going to lose her. She is strong." I replied, but even though I wanted to help soothe the worries my sister has, I had my own. Marge Cragen just started out as this kind faced woman that talked me out of my silence, and she held me the whole way we walked back to the precinct after she let me eat for the first time in weeks. She is the only woman who gave her job up for 3 years as she took care of me and helped me through the troubles I was going through. She's my savior, and I can't lose her.

"Liv, I'm scared." Cynthia whispered, and I nodded as I turned to her. Tears had finally ran down my cheeks. I was just as scared as everyone else, maybe even more. When you finally get a mother, and she loves you like a mother should and you almost lose her, it's terrifying.

"I am too." I spoke, before drawing her into my arms and holding her tightly.

[*]

Bernie and Joseph came out to our house to stay with us. My father sent us home, even if we fought him hard on it. We didn't want him to be alone if she passed away. But he made us anyway.

"Alright, come on you two. Eat some soup." Bernie spoke, as she washed up the dishes from dinner. 

"We aren't hungry, Mrs. Stabler." Cynthia sighed, as she leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest. I could see her lip quiver a bit every few minutes as she fought back tears, and I knew that she wasn't lying about not being hungry, I felt like throwing up because I am so worried about this all.

"Oh girls, please eat something." She urged, as she watched Elliot finish his soup, which didn't surprise any of us.

"Elliot can have mine. I feel like I might throw up." I whispered, as I shoved my bowl towards my boyfriend before standing and walking towards my room.

Once I reached it, I opened the door and walked inside. Cynthia closed the door as she followed me. She sat down on my bed, before falling backwards. I did the same thing and stayed completely silent. We just looked at the ceiling as tears burned our eyes and our lips slowly formed the words to prayers to save our mother.

[*]

"Alright, everyone pass your tests forward." Mr. Letter spoke. Elliot handed his test to me, and I passed it forward, and as Mr. Letter started to pick up the tests, his phone rang. Elliot looked over at me, as I stopped breathing. He went and picked up the phone, and after a few moments of hushed speaking, he turned and looked right at me.

"Olivia, Detective Munch is here to pick you up. Please head to the office." He spoke slowly, and I saw how his eyes had filled with concern. I didn't move, because I knew the worst had happened. 

"Olivia?" He questioned, as I felt everything go foggy.

"Liv..." Elliot breathed, but I barely heard him because I was sobbing loudly as I felt my heart tighten.

[*]

"Mom, I love you so much. I'm so sorry that this happened to you of all people. You are such a great person, and the best mother I could ask for. You fought so hard and I know that you are tired, but please keep protecting us like you have for so long. I love you Mom, thanks for everything." I breathed, as I sat next to my mother's bed. She hadn't died, but she did have a stroke and now we were saying our goodbyes.

I leaned down and placed a soft kiss to her cheek, before leaning my head against her arm. I was the last one to say goodbye. I kept putting it off, because I wanted her to live, to breath again. I wanted her to come back to us and hug me again. To tell us how much she loves us and how adopting Cynthia and myself was her best decision ever.

That would never happen, but never will I ever forget how amazing my mother is, and all the things she has did for me.

Hey guys! I'm sorry for writing this, but since Marge died in L&O I kinda wanted to just write about how Cragen, Olivia and Cynthia would deal with it and how Cragen now has to be a father to both of them. Please forgive me. Thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D