[Chapter Forty-Three]

I slept in the chair next to my father's hospital bed after I cried for a bit. I knew that he wasn't going to make it this time. And I knew he was okay with dying because then that meant he would be with my mom again.

I woke up when the nurses came in to check on my father, but he was so excited that he didn't even wake up. But when they came in for their six in the morning check, I got up and headed towards the parking lot so I could go and get breakfast and some coffee. I also had an important call to make, one that I made before.

"Sorry that I cannot come to the phone right now, either I'm sleeping, ignoring you, or on rounds. Please leave a name, number, and message after the beep." Cynthia's phone spoke, and I sighed softly.

"Cynthia, it's Liv. Uh, Dad's in the hospital again and I really don't think he's going to get better. He's at St Micheal's hospital. You can go and see him, and I'm sorry that I blacklisted you before, so please get over what I did and go see him." I breathed, before hanging up. I sat my phone in one of the cupholders before backing out of my spot and heading towards a fast food restaurant.

[*]

When I arrived back at the hospital, my sister stood outside of his room and watched him through the window. I was glad that I got two coffees and breakfast sandwiches because I'm sure she is starving. I got to her side and handed her the coffee.

"I'm sure you haven't eaten yet, so I got another sandwich also." I breathed. Cynthia took the coffee and took a small drink from it before looking at me.

"We need to make up." She breathed.

"We do," I replied slowly.

"I'm sorry that I pushed you out of my life. I know that you are also Serena's daughter, my twin, but I just felt like I deserve to be her only daughter like the way you were hers for seven years. And I'm sorry that I didn't even go to your wedding, I knew how important it was for you." Cynthia sighed, and I frowned deeply.

"I'm sorry that I'm a shitty sister in general and for everything I've done." I breathed, and she smiled.

"Broad apology. I like it." She smirked before she turned and hugged me warmly.

"God, I've missed you, Cy. Honestly, I guess I probably knew you were my twin before I even really knew it. We were close from the start." I sighed as I rubbed my sister's back.

"Yeah, and now we have to be strong for Dad, okay? And I want to take you home with me to see Mom."

"Okay." I breathed.

[*]

I didn't go home for a week, not even to change. I just borrowed some of Cynthia's clothes and we traded off every 12 hours. We didn't really do a lot with our father because he had fallen into a coma as his kidneys also started to fail him. It was horrible knowing that we weren't going to have a father in our lives anymore and the only parent we can try to rely on is Serena, and she hasn't proved to us that she'll be a good help in the past.

"Alright, I'm going to face the music and go home for a bit. I'll be back at midnight to sit with him." I yawned, as I stood and grabbed my purse.

"Okay, well I'm catching up on reading this freaking giant book. I'll see you tonight. Bring me some coffee so I can stay up." Cynthia spoke, before drawing me into a hug. I nodded as I hugged her back before heading out.

Once I drove home and heading up the stairs and into my apartment, I saw my husband for the first time in a week.

"Liv?" He asked, as he tucked his shirt into his jeans so he could head off to the bookstore because we don't working as officers for a few months, once they figure out which officers are being promoted to detective and then we fill spots.

"Hey, I'm just here to shower, change, and then to get some sleep. I'm working today, but not until five and then I'm working till eleven." I sighed as I sat my purse down.

"What's happening? You haven't called me in a week. You haven't even come home in a week." Elliot sighed.

"I've been at the hospital or at Serena's apartment. I work shifts that you don't most of the time too."

"How is he doing?" He asked quietly.

"They say he has about a month at the most, but he isn't going to last much longer. He's in a coma, and Cynthia and I are taking 12-hour shifts. It helps that we made up."

"You made up?" Elliot questioned as if he hadn't heard me say that I've been staying at Serena's apartment.

"Yeah, we have. Now, have a good day." I sighed as I walked towards him. We stood awkwardly next to each other before he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

I started to cry into my husband's chest as he held me close. He caressed my hair and cooed gentle and soothing words to me. I cried for a while before stepping back and wiping tears from my cheeks.

"Your shirt is soaked." I sighed, and he shrugged.

"It'll dry. Do you want me to stay home?" Elliot asked, and I shook my head.

"I'm okay. I love you." I breathed, before turning to head into the bathroom to start the shower. My husband followed me and as I turned around he kissed me gently.

"I'll go to the hospital with you tonight. You need the support."

"I love you, El. I'm sorry that I've been avoiding you."

"Why have you?" He asked.

"Because I don't feel like a real part of your family... how they all hugged you and congratulated you. I just stood back and waited, but they were there for you, not me. It just made me nervous." I sighed.

"It made you nervous?"

"I think it's because I knew that I wasn't going to have a Dad anymore soon, and you have a mom and dad. I'm stuck with Serena."

"I'm sorry that they made you feel that way. That I did. So please, let me stay home with you. I'll call in and get on the same shift as you. I don't want you to feel like you don't have a family, but I'm your family no matter what."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D