Relief

My heart dropped after finding out the news that Reyna was shot on her mission she went to

The boys were already at the hospital and I just got here in a rush because I was on the other side of town when I got the phone call.

After asking the receptionist for the room number my daughter is in, I got into the elevator and made my way to the second floor. As soon as the door opened, I ran out and immediately see the boys in the waiting room. Matteo is sat hunched over his seat with his face covered by his hands. Ace is sat on the floor by Reyna's room door with his head in hands. His shirt was still covered in blood which tells me that he hasn't left the hospital at all.

Matteo looks up at the sound of my footsteps and his face visibly relaxes a bit. "Mamà." He breathes out, getting up from his seat and hugging me. "She won't wake up." He mutters into my shoulder.

I wrap my arms around him and kiss the side of his face. "Everything will be okay," I whisper, "she'll wake up. I know she will. She's a strong woman."

"I want her to wake up now." He says hoarsely.

"I know you do," I take his head away from my shoulder and grip the sides of his face, "give her time. You eaten?"

He shakes his head and frowns.

"Go get something, I'll call you if anything happens. Okay?" I say softly.

"Okay." He mumbles, rubbing his eyes and walking towards the elevators.

Once he leaves, I turn my attention back to Ace. Crouching down to him, I place my hand over his. He tenses briefly and after realising it's just me, he relaxes but doesn't move from his position.

"Look at me." I say softly, trailing my fingers through his hair. He shakes his head so I quietly add on, "Please?"

Keeping his head down, he moves his hands away from his face and wraps his arms around my waist as he buries his face into the crook of my neck.

"It's not your fault, you know that, right?" I say quietly.

Ace and Reyna went on the mission together. I figured that he would blame himself because he's always been so hard on himself. There was nothing that he could've done to prevent her from getting shot.

He doesn't say anything. Or even move. The only thing he does is hold me tighter.

"There was nothing you could have done Ace."

He shakes his head. "It's my fault. I shouldn't of taken her on that mission, it was too dangerous. I couldn't protect her." He mutters into my neck.

I take his head away from my neck and cup his cheeks, his stubble rough against my palms. "Why are you always so hard on yourself?" I ask him, furrowing my eyebrows. He shrugs one of his shoulders and I sigh. "Stop blaming yourself, alright? It's not your fault."