Worried

This morning I woke up with a pounding headache

This morning I woke up with a pounding headache. My whole body was burning up but I didn't tell River because she'll make me stay home and I don't want to. I rarely get sick but when I do it's fucking hell.

As much as I wanted to stay in bed and just sleep, I couldn't. I have a lot of work to do and I can't afford a day off.

Since I'm up before my wife, she doesn't see me before I head off to work. God, I feel so dizzy.

"Mornin' Dad." To my surprise my son is awake reading a textbook in the kitchen with his breakfast.

"Morning," I reply but clear my throat to get rid of the rasp. My throat is fucking killing too. I don't know how I'm gonna manage to speak through my upcoming meetings. "What are you doing up?"

"Studying for a test later." He replies but then he furrows his eyebrows and stares at me a little longer than needed.

"What?" I grumble, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Are you okay, Papà?" He frowns. "You don't look so good."

"I'm fine." I sigh, running a hand through my hair and turning on the coffee machine.

He's not convinced but I don't care. I don't need my kid worrying unnecessarily about me. I'll just take a pill and I'll be fine later. Nothing to fuss over.

xXx

The second I got into the office, I was swamped with work and after a few hours I've only managed to get a short break. I'm exhausted, my heads pounding, my throat kills and my chest feels heavy. The pills won't do shit.

I've been trying not to fall asleep but my body gave out and I passed out on my desk. However, my nap didn't last long because my phone started ringing, waking me.

With a small groan of frustration, I answer the call without checking the caller ID and press the phone to my ear.

"Ace, come home." My wife's worried voice fills my ears. She probably just woke up.

"What's wrong?" I mutter, propping my elbow onto the desk and covering my face with my hand.

"Matteo said you didn't look so good this morning," She says and I let out a long sigh. "Come home, love. You don't sound okay. I'm worried."

"Nothing to worry about," I reply, rubbing my forehead. "I'm fine. I'll be home soon."

"Let me take care of you. I don't want you being sick." She says softly and damn that sounds tempting. I love it when she takes care of me but I don't want to stress her out.