30. The coffee guy

After dinner, Ajax and Huntley had a few drinks. It was around nine when they part ways.

The night under the starless sky was bit chilly for it rained for almost the whole day.

Ajax was walking up at the street a few blocks away from his place.

The street had few people passing by. Most shops were already closed or were about to close.

Ajax sensed as if someone was following him. He stopped on the pretense that he was tying up his loose shoe lace.

As he did that, he was surveying his surroundings. He could not help but have that feeling that someone had been watching his every move since he parted ways with Huntley.

Ajax acted naturally and went on his way. Still sensing that someone was tailing him, he, then, entered a coffee shop which was a couple of buildings away from his apartment.

"Hello." The guy welcomed.

"Hi." Ajax responded. "Until what time are you open?"

"Actually, I was about to change the sign when you entered."

"Oh ..." Ajax said. "Please, is it okay if I stayed here for bit. I think someone is following me."

The guy walked pass him and went to the door. He turned the signage to close and locked the door.

"I don't see anyone."

"Hey, you might think I am crazy or something."

"No. Absolutely not. Do you want me to call the police?"

"No. Not yet. It was just a feeling that I have. I think, I just have to calm down a bit."

"Okay then, please have a seat"

The man left Ajax and went into the kitchen. After a few minutes, he was carrying a tray with a cup of tea and a slice of pound cake.

"Here."

The guy said as he placed the cup of tea and a slice of pound cake on the table.

"Oh ... this is too much trouble ..."

"Do not worry about. The tea will help you calm down and the pound cake goes deliciously well with the tea."

"Thank you."

"You are welcome."

The guy said as he took the seat opposite Ajax.

"Is this your shop?"

"Yeah. I recently acquired this shop. I did a bit of redecorating before opening it yesterday."

"I see."

"I'm Thorn."

"Ajax."

The two exchanged handshake.

--- end of chapter ---