144. Part IV: A pair of kings and a prince

The king, then, stood up as he walked down the steps from the throne.

"So, this is the reason why the army of the Phoenix clan is stationed outside my kingdom's northern gates."

"And your Lordship knew about it?"

"Knew what?" King L'Nykt said as he moved closer to the prince. "Knew that the Phoenix clan had violated the Bakea eta Gerrako akordioa (Peace and War agreement) for putting a camp outside the northern gate of Naelyan?"

The king paused.

"Certainly, I have known about it since last night."

"And, my Lord, what sayeth you to the appeal of the Council of Regents?"

"You know me well, my prince." The king replied. "I am all about peace. I will yield the Council's request. Of course, I will."

"Thank you, my Lord." The prince said. "I will take my leave now."

"Wait." King L'Nykt said as the prince was about to bow.

"What is it my Lordship?" The prince asked.

"Drop the formalities. The next conversation will be just between the two of us."

Prince Luca remained silent.

"Don't you think that the first born son of King Nike just runaway? Don't you think this is a pathetic attempt of the king of the Phoenix to put the blame on someone for his lack of parental skills? Do you not think that this is a waste of time before a father who happens to be a king could not control his unruly son and cries war by fabricating a story of abduction?"

"My Lord," The prince began to say. "I have no opinion on this matter. As I stand in your presence, I am just a mere messenger of the Council of Regents."

"All these years," The king replied. "You have not changed, one bit. It is always duty above all. Never having an opinion on things ... just contenting yourself in following the rules. Do you not want something else?"

The prince remained silent. The king, then, turned around and walked back to his throne.

"This bores me." The king said once he was seated. "You may leave."

"Thank you, my Lord." The prince replied.

--- end of chapter ---