136. In the land of Vatr

The unforgiving storm continued to reign over Adamah. However, it seemed to reign more turbulently in the land of the Vatr.

A soldier rushed to the throne of the palace bearing disturbing news.

"My Lord," The soldier yelled as he ran towards the throne. However, he was thwarted by the palace guards.

"How dare you disturb the king?" One of the court's councilman said.

"But, I have dire news that came from the northern gate of the city wall."

"Let him pass." King L'Nykt commanded the palace guards.

The soldier headed in hasten towards the throne and knelt before the king.

"Pardon me, my king." The soldier began to say. "Soldiers from the Phoenix clan are stationed outside the northern gates of the city."

The king remained silent.

"What shall we do, my Lord?" The soldier asked.

The king stood from his throne before he spoke. "Nothing."

The court's councilmen murmured in shock when they heard what the king said.

"We do not have any quarrels toward the Phoenix clan," The king began to say. "Let them be for they would not dare step farther in my land."

The murmurs became louder until some of the court's councilmen questioned the king's decision.

"But, my Lord, why do we take such threat passively?" A councilman asked.

"Surely, this is a great insult to our clan." Another man said.

"Enough!" The king said as he stepped down his throne.

"First, what cause does the Phoenix clan have against our race to start this war on this turbulent night?" The king walked towards his subjects.

"Second, our defenses are impenetrable or have you lost faith in your king to keep his people safe from our enemies?"

"Third, I ask you all again what quarrels do we have against the Phoenix clan? Have we wronged them in anyway?" The king said. "Or, has anyone of you acted without my permission and offended the Phoenix clan?"

Everyone in the room was silent. The king looked at the eyes of his court's councilmen before he spoke again.

"I shall wait for their emissary to come. Until then, I will retire in my room." The king said as he left the palace hall with his esquires.

The councilmen were restless. They could not understand how could their king be so calm with war looming in the horizon.

--- end of chapter ---