131. Legend of the stone

This lurid tale started after the birth of the prince of the Vatr. It was believed that the stone - iolite - which the Vatrians venerated as the water sapphire was the twin of the prince.

The story began at the birth of the prince. According to the tale, the Queen Mother had an arduous childbirth. It took several hours for the prince to exited her mother's womb.

After cleaning the prince, the midwife handed him to the Queen Mother who named him North. Then, the Queen Mother felt a strong contraction, as if she was about to give birth again.

This confused the midwife as there was no other child inside the Queen Mother's womb. Nonetheless, the midwife performed her duties. And, after a long and frightening cry the Queen Mother made, she gave birth to the stone.

The midwife was shocked in horror at what she had witnessed. She fainted from the terror.

Suddenly, the Queen Mother could not breathe and heart seemed to be failing A few seconds, after giving birth to the legendary stone, she met her death.

King L'Nykt was summoned immediately to the queen's chamber where the handmaid told the king of the tragic incident. The king asked the handmaid to bring the child to his room and watch over the child. The king, then, left the chamber of the queen, with the stone in hand and went to the Voûte of Artifacts.

After that night, no one saw the stone ever again. And the midwife who administered the childbirth of Prince North, lost her sanity and wandered in the land of Vatr telling her story.

Growing up, Prince North did not believe the rumors about him and the stone, as his father, King L'Nykt assured him that it was absolutely ludicrous.

Often time, the king would tell him it was just a propaganda to ruin their family and prevent the prince ascend to the throne. And, the prince believed his father without question.

Until, the prince learned the truth.

--- end of chapter ---