Chapter 87: Love Story

"What did I miss?" Abby asks, walking over to us with her drink.

"This is Alison's boyfriend." Lauren raises her eyebrows and smiles at Abby.

"Boyfriend?!" Abby raises her eyebrows, looking surprised.

"This is Michael." I show a little smile, introducing him.

I feel a little bit awkward though because I've never introduced a boyfriend before... and the fact that Lauren and Abby knew nothing about this makes it a bit more awkward.

"It's nice to meet you both." Michael smiles.

"It's nice to meet you too. I'm Abby." She smiles. "So, how long have you been together? You didn't say anything?" Abby looks at me.

"Not long." I shake my head and glance at Michael.

"Oh, I get it." Lauren grins. "So this is why we didn't see you over term break Al?"

I roll my eyes and feel myself heat up. Michael smiles at me and laughs softly.

"Oh, Harry is here now. I'll be right back!" Lauren smiles and quickly walks off.

"Would you like something to drink?" Abby asks Michael.

"No thanks, I'm not staying." He shakes his head.

I stare at him and he looks at me. Abby nods slowly and then looks at me.

"Do you want a drink Al?"

"I'm fine." I shake my head. "Thanks."

"Ok, well I'm just going out for a cigarette." She smiles.

In other words that's her way of saying I'll leave you both to talk. I know she can sense a bit of tension...

"Sure." I nod and show a little smile.

She walks off, leaving me and Michael alone. I look down and tuck my hair behind my ear, with neither of us saying anything. I glance up at him and we stare at each other.

"You're not staying?" I ask softly.

He pauses for a couple of seconds as he stares deep in to my eyes.

"Do you want me to?"

I can't hold his stare and look away. I lick my lips and find that I'm touching my hair again. I clear my throat and look at him.

"Why are you here?"

He gives me a look.

"I mean, I'm happy to see you, but I'm not sure why you're here?"

He tilts his head to the side.

"Are you happy to see me?"

"Yes." I nod and make a face. "Of course I am. I just wasn't expecting to see you."

"I didn't want us to leave things the way they were. It's going to be hard enough going through the next week without seeing you, so I wanted to make sure we were ok at least, before you came back here."

I stare at him quietly. This is so sweet of him.

"Come with me." I look up at him as I walk past him.

He follows behind as we walk through the groups of people. We get out in to the hallway and I look at him as I sit down on the stairs.

"It's quieter out here."

He sits on the step below mine and looks up at me. Damn he is so cute. I look him up and down and sip my drink. I notice he looks at my cup.

"It's lemonade." I give him a look.