𝟕𝟓. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

"Today, we acknowledge... a really terrible loss"

"Cedric Diggory was, as you all know exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend".

"Now I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died".

"You see Cedric Diggory was murdered... by Lord Voldemort"

"The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this"

"But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory"

"Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me and reminds us that while we may come from many different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one"

"In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever"

"Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain"

"You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end"

✰✰✰

After the death of Cedric Diggory, no one was the same. Not really. They had all witnessed something unimaginable, something no one had expected. To go back to being completely carefree would be a luxury that the students wouldn't be able to experience for a while.

Dumbledore's speech was given to the whole school, teachers, students and foreign friends. All who sat silently with tears in their eyes. No one had a work to say. Shock was still evident in the halls of the school. Life went on for most but it felt incompatible with the life they'd lived before.

Elle sat in between the twins, her eyes sore from crying and her throat dry from sobbing. She had been fortunate enough to never experience death in her path before. She'd never lost. Therefore the death of her friend Cedric had hit her hard leaving her feeling empty inside.

There were no smiles, no laughs, no jokes. It would be insensitive to be happy in this moment. Even the worst of the Slytherins (aka Malfoy and his cronies) were being respectful which shed light on the seriousness of this situation.

Many didn't believe what Dumbledore was saying about Voldemort. They had lived a sheltered life, raised to believe the dark times were gone and could never effect them. Elle however was not one of these people. She knew what she had seen in her dream, the monstrous white face, and she now knew what it meant.

Whisperers of Potter flooded the quiet corridors. Judgemental words of mental illness and delusion. Elle wanted to stand up for him but she couldn't bring herself to speak. Everything seemed like too much effort at this point and she hadn't retained much energy over the end of term.