Season 3 Episode 19

Soft sounds of the piano reached the ears of the remaining Avengers, as the moon already hovered far above the headquarters. Muffled, one could actually hear a tender voice singing lines of a self-written song upon closer listening. Abigail Novanoff was sitting at the grand piano in the main room next to the kitchen and had dipped her insomnia against some music. Since they had returned, not a night had passed on which she could sleep peacefully alone. A tall blond young man sleepily entered the room and watched the playing redhead. One could think that a long-dead friend was watching over her, but it was not Danny whom Abigail longed for and not Steve with whom she wanted to resolve the complications. It was Pietro Maximoff, who had not only lost friends in the last few days, but also his twin sister. Both were connected by a bond of grief and when he walked up to her and sat down next to her on the stool, she let him.

His hands flew over the keys and changed her piece a tiny bit to his vision. They both lost themselves in each other's music and without a word they complemented each other. When their hands touched, they lingered in their movements for some time. Pietro was the first to turn his gaze from the keys and look at his companion. He studied the reddish curls, which resembled not only Romanoff, but also his sister. Her electric blue eyes shimmered in the moonlight and he couldn't help but notice the resemblance to his and Steve's eyes. It was as if the two had been linked together to agonizingly remind him of his loss, over and over again. The same thing happened to Abigail when she looked into his eyes. The sight reminded her of her lost love as painfully as it reminded him of his lost sister.

Silently she laid her head on his shoulder and he put an arm around her. No words were needed for her to express the grief. As if in unison, tears released from her eyelids and made their way down her cheeks to her thighs. "Pietro, I'm sorry. About your sister," Abigail whispered, her voice sounding three octaves higher than normal. "It should have been me, not her." Pietro shook his head and turned to her. As he did, her head slid off his shoulder and she was forced to look at him. "Abigail, don't say that Wanda wouldn't have wanted you to think that way," he insisted forcefully but his voice also broke at the sound of her name. Addressed disagreed with him, but an argument would not bring her back either.

Instead, she decided to help him, "If you want to talk about it, I'm here." Gratefully, he forced a small smile and stroked her hands.