Season 5 Episode 15

"But you're here to return the stone and ask for something in return." Red Skull moved over the edge of the cliff as he continued, "In my time here, no one has ever tried to trade the stone back but I doubt you'll get what you're asking for."

"It can't hurt to try," he took the stone from his breast pocket and held it close to his heart for a moment before continuing to speak. "So, how do I bring it back?"

"To where the sacrifice took place." With that, Red Skull left him completely alone to have his moment alone. Steve stepped closer to the edge and mustered the courage to look down to where Natasha had jumped. He found nothing, no body, no indication of the crime committed. Only a stain of dried blood, which could be seen even from where he stood. Of her blood.

He held the hand with the stone in front of him and grinned bitterly, "Well, see you in a minute then?" The grin on his face slowly faded as he thought of his loyal friend's last words to him and put on a straight face.

"But you didn't come? You just wanted one of us to pick you up, didn't you?" He heaved a heavy sigh as he dropped his hand to his side, still clinging to the stone, "Well, I guess you're lucky, because I'm only here because of you.... I just really hope this works, Nat." He blinked once, twice, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes. He didn't know what he would do if his plan didn't work. "I said we don't exchange lives, but here you are. Right...you're Natasha Romanoff, when do you ever listen? Probably runs in the family. Abigail didn't get it either." He smiled sadly as he remembered all the times Natasha had protected them. He remembered how Natasha had been unwilling to give up Vision when Thanos first came to Earth. But he had never thought it would be her who would have to take the fall for everyone.  

Well, that's how they were, the Avengers.... they always protected each other, no matter what price they had to pay.

After a moment of silence, Steve finally decided to throw the stone off the cliff. There was no point in waiting anymore and it would only drive him more crazy. The possibility that he would not get Natasha back as a result would not be changed by any more waiting. "I'll see you in a bit, Nat." And for a moment he wondered what had happened, because he suddenly felt water all over him. He opened his eyes and realized he was .... asleep? He sat down and tried to register what had happened. All he could remember was that he had brought back the stone and then this.