Season 1 Episode 12

"All right, Abigail, we're here. Get out," Natasha spoke for the first time since the two had gotten into the car. While she wanted to get the answer to her thousand questions answered, she shouldn't feel forced. So she planned to make a small stop at a grocery store first. "Why are we at the stores Nat?" groaned Abigail, who apparently didn't seem very enthusiastic about the idea of going shopping now. But what struck Natasha much more was that this was the very first time she had used her name, or rather her nickname, and in a very peculiar way, she liked it. Despite whining, she followed her into the little store. "Well, I guess I owe you one," Nat said as she stopped in front of the candy shelf. "And what's that?" she asked, standing ignorantly with her back to the shelf and her arms crossed as she had so many times before. "Go on, get your Oreos," Nat smiled at her, pointing to the blue/white packages. "Oh yeah!" she exclaimed happily, grabbing the frontmost pack. It was probably the first time that both Nat, Abigail but also Abi, saw Natasha smile genuinely. A smile produced by true joy and not by any sassy and glib remarks. She paid for the package and the two made their way to a nearby park. When she opened the package, Nat put an arm around her to snatch an Oreo but again she flinched in fright. "What's wrong?" Nat asked as she had so many times before, and again she gave a fake laugh. "Nothing, sorry. Just a habit," if Natasha hadn't been trained to see through lies exactly like that, she probably would have even bought it. But luckily, she knew these games. "Did someone hurt you?" This time, no further dismissive answer followed, but Abigail broke eye contact and looked to the ground. "You know I'm not going to hurt you...you can tell me," she tried again as she noticed her duel within herself over whether or not it would be better if she told her the truth. Abigail took a deep breath before slowly beginning to speak. "I didn't have a great life at home with mom and dad. They fought a lot... and my father beat me, he called it discipline," she explained for the first time since they met, gazing stubbornly at an invisible dot. By now they had both settled silently on a park bench and Natasha looked at her in horror and pity. She could imagine all too well how she must have felt. What she couldn't imagine, though, was how similar her past really was to hers. "So at some point I just ran away and started stealing just to feed myself," she continued, and it was only now that Natasha noticed Abigail's very, very thin body, and she was annoyed with herself for not noticing it before. "I'm sorry, Abigail."

"It sucks, but it doesn't matter," she waved it off to finally change the subject and held the pack of Oreo under Nat's nose to offer her some. "Thanks, let's head back, it's getting late."