Keeping His Promise(The Once-Ler[The Lorax{2012}] X Reader)

I've heard that the Lorax fandom, specifically the Tumblr Sexyman, has risen from the dead. My crush on him has finally worked out and thus, here it is.

-------

-Reader's P.O.V.-

The Once-Ler and I were in his cottage while his family gathered truffula tufts. I was watching him make blueprints for the future thneed factory.

"Look at this," he said upon finishing. "It's amazing. I am so proud of me."

I giggled softly at his tone. "It's pretty impressive."

Isabella interrupted us. "Oncie, we got us a little problem."

"Problem?" her son replied.

"Mhm," she confirmed. "We're not makin' thneeds fast enough."

"Harvesting the tufts takes too long!" Ubb added while pushing a cart full of tufts.

"What else can we do?" Once-Ler asked nervously.

"Well.. and this.. just came to me. We could always start choppin' down the trees," the woman suggested with a smile.

"What?" her son and I said in unison.

"Now you're thinkin'! That would speed things up!" Ubb added.

"The Once-Ler made a promise to the Lorax and I. He's not chopping down any trees," I said.

"Don't listen to her, Oncie. You're running a business now. You have to do what's best for the company and your mama. You're really gonna let some girl keep you from bein' successful?" Isabella countered. "You need to think about the company and not waste your time on meaningless relationships. Besides, you can do so much better than her."

My eyes widened at her words. I looked at the Once-Ler. He was as surprised as I was.

"Don't you dare talk about (Y/N) like that, Mom. She's given me more support in the mere two years of knowing her than you ever have in my whole life. I made her a promise and I'm keeping it. You're all fired," he said angrily.

Isabella's eyes widened. She glared at me. "You're nothin' but trouble. Keepin' my Oncie from being successful and makin' him go against his family. You oughtta be ashamed of yourself."

"I'm not the one who's been telling him he'll never amount to anything since he was a kid. Not to mention getting his whole family against him. I know he's better than this. He's not giving in to greed at the expense of the trees," I snarked.

"I'm done seeking your approval, Mom. I'm done letting you tear me down. (Y/N)'s the most amazing person I've ever met. I'd rather keep her in my life than be successful," Once-Ler added.

"Son.. you have let me down," Isabella said before gathering the family to leave. The RV sped off a few minutes later.

"You okay?" I hesitated after a few moments.

"I'm more okay than I've ever been," he replied then looked at me. "You don't realize what you did."

My anxious thoughts that began to grow were cut off by Once-Ler pulling me into a hug. "You kept your promise." I hugged back.

"Of course I did. That talk we had by the river that night made me realize how awful my family is. And how wonderful you are. Had you not been here, my mom would have convinced me to start chopping down the trees. Not only did you save the valley, you also saved me from greed and a lifetime of regret. I love you so much," he rambled.

Silence filled the air after the confession. We looked at each other. Our blushing faces matched.

Once-Ler pulled away. "Sorry. That wasn't supposed to come out." He looked away to hide his face.

"You love me?" I asked.

"Yeah. I do," he confirmed. He looked at me and took my hands in his. "More than I can say."

I smiled softly at him. "Well, you'll be happy to know that I love you, too." My smile faded. "I'm sorry about the thneeds."

He pulled me close. "No no no, don't apologize for that. A bar's opening in town next week and they're in need of a guitar player. I'm gonna apply tomorrow."

"Oh, you're definitely gonna get the job," I smiled again.

"Come to my first show?"

"Duh."

-------

I'm kinda surprised this is a good 600 words.

As always, embrace your weirdness and I'll see you in the next one shot.

- The Self Shipping Weirdo