Royally Hypocritical(Prince Gumball[Adventure Time] X Reader)

How long has it been since I've posted Gumball? I have no clue, but EyerusCat helped me with this one. She helped me with some ideas while I was on break, in case you couldn't notice.

-------

Tonight was the Biennial Gumball Ball and so many people were mingling in the ballroom of the Candy Castle. You were talking with Fionna and Cake, the duo being the only people in Aaa you were close enough to besides Gumball.

"How're you and Gumball?" Fionna asked.

"We're good," you replied. You took a sip of your water before continuing. "It's honestly amazing how he can juggle a love life with his responsibilities as a prince. I hope I don't add too much stress to his life."

"You? You causing him stress?" Honey, do you hear yourself?" Cake said. "You're the most stress-free person we've met. You're what he needs to balance his mind. You take away stress from his life."

"Speaking of responsibilities," Marshall Lee spoke while floating over to you, "when are you gonna accept yours as his girlfriend? You have to learn to be royal at some point."

"He's never brought it up," you told the vampire king.

He scoffed. "Sure. Probably because you wouldn't be able to handle it."

"Marshall," Fionna scolded. "Stop. She doesn't have to learn to be royal."

"That's coming from someone who isn't royal at all," he snarked. "Look, all I'm saying is he could have done better. The gum wad can't run a kingdom by himself. He needs someone who can help him out. If you really think about it, you're adding to his stress."

"That's funny coming from someone who's a king yet so irresponsible with his own kingdom," Gumball spoke. His hand held yours as he stood next to you. "You may be a king, but I manage my kingdom so much better than you manage yours." He then said to Fionna and Cake, "My apologies, ladies. If you'll excuse us."

"Go right ahead, baby," Cake said.

"We're gonna head out soon," Fionna said. "It's getting late."

"I don't blame you," Gumball replied. He gave them a smile. "Thank you for coming."

"Thanks for inviting us," Fionna smiled back. She and Cake hugged you before you parted ways with them. Gumball escorted you to his room with an arm around your waist.

Once inside, he closed the door then took your hands in his. "I'm so sorry, creme puff. Marshall wasn't invited. He wasn't supposed to be here."

"He crashes everything," you shrugged.

"Are you all right? You're more than welcome to retire tonight," he said.

"I'm okay," I said. "Come on, let's get back down there."

"Do you know why I haven't asked you about learning to be royalty?" he asked.

"Why?" you asked anxiously.

"I haven't asked because you don't need to learn. Being a prince is beyond stressful and I don't want you to have to deal with that. I'm not saying you're soft, and there's nothing wrong with being soft or sensitive, but I know your mental limitations," he said.

"So, Marshall was right," you assumed.

"No. Marshall will always be wrong. It would stress me out to have you stressed about learning to be royalty," he said. "You aren't royalty. That's one of the reasons why I love you. I don't want or need you to learn unless you genuinely want to. I love you as a commoner. You wouldn't like learning, anyway. I know you. And I'd rather have you as you are right now and not as some stuck up, pompous royal. Being royalty can get to your head and I'd hate to see it change you."

"Do I cause you stress on top of your duties?" you asked.

He held your face in his hands. "You have never caused me stress. Ever. As a matter of fact, you're my number one source of stress relief. Just you being in the room with me is enough to calm me down. Never listen to a single thing Marshall says. Everything he says is a lie, especially about us. Do you want to learn to be royal? Are you genuinely interested in becoming royalty?" he said.

"...Not really," you hesitated.

Gumball kissed your forehead. "That's perfectly fine with me. You do not have to learn if you don't want to. You don't have to learn for me. I am more than fine with you not being interested. I love you regardless."

You smiled a bit. "Okay."

"For the record," he started, "I couldn't possibly do better than you. You are my standard."

You hugged him. He immediately embraced you. "Thank you, Gumball," you said. "Do you wanna go back down there?" It is your ball."

"Only if you do. Personally, I want to stay up here with you, but if you want to join the crowd again, your wish is my command," he said.

The muffled sound of the band playing a waltz made its way to you. You looked up at him. "May I have this dance, Your Majesty?"

He smiled softly. "I'd love nothing more."

You began to waltz around Gumball's open bedroom. Your anxieties were soon forgotten and you held your own personal ball for the rest of the night.

-------

A one shot for Jack may or may not be posted today. I haven't decided yet.

As always, embrace your weirdness and I'll see you in the next one shot.

- The Self Shipping Weirdo